Android Central's R.A.T (Root Apps Thread)

tazman1963

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/tazman1963/Android%20Photos/screen_20110817_0129.jpg[/IMG]"]

One of the most fun root programs I like to play with (yes I said play with! ) is Boot RANDImations, because you've got over 130 boot animations to choose from, you can even add your own! The beauty of this app is it randomly displays the animations that you have chosen, its real easy to add your own custom sounds or recordings in mp3 format by putting them in the same folder labeled as android_sound.mp3. Its just plain old fun to run this root app. :D

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
question about Set Cpu. Shouldn't Gingerbread already be optimized enough to scale between 300 mhz and 1 ghz. I have a Droid x and I really don't see any difference using set cpu. I've heart juice defender has a couple of cool radio tweaks along with a built in cpu scaler but is set cpu beneficial on its own if you are not under/overlooking?

Stan Major

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that, one of my friends told me that those apps which access the root are often the major cause of problem and the problem may be unintentionally caused due to software issues. I think you should share the 8th warnings link on the home page somewhere and kindly make it a sticky post. thanks

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I see that SuperUser has been updated to version 3.0. Has anyone upgraded yet? If so, how is it and what is new?

Doc

ftgg99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that, one of my friends told me that those apps which access the root are often the major cause of problem and the problem may be unintentionally caused due to software issues. I think you should share the 8th warnings link on the home page somewhere and kindly make it a sticky post. thanks

Thats not true! Your friend should not be giving advice when he doesnt know what hes talking about.

I develop and use root apps on a daily basis. 90% of trhe time they are better built than any other kind of app, simply because the kind of people who understand android tend to write better code.

Rascaldoc

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No, do a nandroid of your stock, rooted system and stick that nandroid on your PC.

I finally took the plunge and rooted last night. I had an option while in superuser or revolutionary to do a back up (which I did) and which I think I found in a folder named clockwork mod on my sd card and copied that to my PC. Is that the nandroid backup? If not, what is a nandroid backup.

While I am at it .... can Rom manager really do everything right from there to flash say, cyanogen? Anbd when I click "wipe " does it wipe the SD card too? Thanks in advance ......

RobSagat

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Tasker - Too powerful for words. Can automate nearly anything you think of on your phone in nearly any way. Can also automate things you can't think of.

Screen Filter - Dims the screen to however low you want it. Perfect for late at night. Has a Tasker plug-in so you can set it to run at specific times

Keyboard Backlight Controller - Turns hard key backlights on or off. Can be set to run at startup. I really like it because at this point in my phone's life, I know exactly where the keys are, and for some reason do not like the backlight. Especially at night.

Combine all 3 of the above apps, and you just might be able to look at your phone in bed without it killing your eyes :)

Melven

May 6, 2011
Visit site
[URL=http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/tazman1963/Android%20Photos/screen_20110817_0129.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

One of the most fun root programs I like to play with (yes I said play with! ) is Boot RANDImations, because you've got over 130 boot animations to choose from, you can even add your own! The beauty of this app is it randomly displays the animations that you have chosen, its real easy to add your own custom sounds or recordings in mp3 format by putting them in the same folder labeled as android_sound.mp3. Its just plain old fun to run this root app. :D

Do you have a link to this app? I looked in the market but did not see it.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Autostarts - check\prevent apps loading at startup, app triggers, etc.
pimNMuchNRhWmIXb18lyuRwGxjZgdwfy4pRP9rVErr1khROJQwEQlk1m6cp1YBfI7tAM

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If your running stock rooted GB and want to take the new upcoming .621 GB update without losing your precious .su capabilities, then this app is for you(as long as the Market says so)....

Voodoo OTA Root Keeper

https://market.android.com/details?i...b3RrZWVwZXIiXQ..

Some folks on the soak update for .621 have confirmed this works when used properly. I just can't find that certain forum at the moment. I am tired. But the rest of this post I assure is accurate lol

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know of a good screenshot app? I tried searching for that shoot me app that was posted earlier and I can't seem to find it.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Anyone know of a good screenshot app? I tried searching for that shoot me app that was posted earlier and I can't seem to find it.

I used to use shootme. I can't find it now on the market. I also used Drocap2. Try that one. Or get a nexus and just hold down power and volume down :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CobbFC09

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I used to use shootme. I can't find it now on the market. I also used Drocap2. Try that one. Or get a nexus and just hold down power and volume down :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Yeah, I checked out drocap2 and a lot were complaining about how that when it takes a picture, the "has been granted superuser permissions" notification always shows up in it. I ended up trying it out and got the same result.

Any other suggestions guys?

lxcusic

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
i rooted my sprint s3. can someone tell me where i can find a list of available apps. i am also interested in enabling my camera during a call

GoodMoodDroid

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
GMD GestureControl - iPad like gestures, just much more flexible. You can create your own gestures, execute Home, Back, etc, start any application or shortcut. Also has some unique actions like recent applications bar on the bottom, launch pad (docked to border or in center), keyboard switcher, media control, etc.

Gilianp

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I found another root app that I couldn't do without. Keyboard Manager

It allows you to assign seperate keyboards for both portrait & landscape orientation of the phone. For instance, I prefer Swype when I am in portrait mode but find it hard to use in landscape which I tend to flip to if typing a longer message/e-mail. For landscape mode, I prefer Swiftkey because it is like the stock multi-touch keyboard but has much better word prediction than stock. Swiftkey is hard for me to use in portrait mode when typing a quick reply because I have larger fingers.

This app gives me the best of both worlds because I have Swype assigned for portrait & Swiftkey assigned for landscape, so anytime I am typing a quick message to my wife in portrait orientation...Swype automatically pops up, but I can turn my phone to landscape if the reply turns into a longer one & the app automatically switches my keyboard to Swiftkey all within the SMS/Gmail/Facebook app that I was typing in!