Lookout flakiness.

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone using Lookout and experiencing any issues, specifically with the Sprint LG Optimus S (LS670)?

After I installed it, the phone seemed more laggy. I turned off the backup and antivirus but it still seemed seemed to hesitate when doing stuff. I also got some weird glitches with apps. For example, the analog clock widget would not open. I could long press it and move it, or delete it...but not open it to set the alarms. I deleted it and reinstalled the widget and it is working fine. Today, a similar thing happened with text attachments. I could not open or delete them. I had to delete the entire thread to get rid of the attachments.

My son has been experiencing problems with Google Talk since he installed Lookout on his Optimus.

Just uninstalled Lookout and will watch to see if the glitches go away.

On a similar note, has anyone tried any other locators like Lookout? Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had zero problems with lookout. I've been running it since my EVO (and since then I've had the Optimus T, G2, and now the myTouch 4G).

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
I have not had any issues either on my Optimus S running ThundeROM v1.6.2 (or running any other revisions for that matter.)

What is your main reason for using Lookout?
I assume the locator/AV feature as you mentioned that specifically, try another application and see if it gives you better results:
NetQin Mobile Anti-virus for Android - Lookout for the safety of your Android Device!
Super Security beta - Android app on AppBrain

Any other applications that you are running, that may be trying to do a simular task and causing it to bog down?

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any issues either on my Optimus S running ThundeROM v1.6.2 (or running any other revisions for that matter.)

What is your main reason for using Lookout?
I assume the locator/AV feature as you mentioned that specifically, try another application and see if it gives you better results:
NetQin Mobile Anti-virus for Android - Lookout for the safety of your Android Device!
Super Security beta - Android app on AppBrain

Any other applications that you are running, that may be trying to do a simular task and causing it to bog down?

I'm running pretty lean. I have GoSMS, TouchPal Smart Dialer, K9 mail and TaskSwitcher, but otherwise am clean of background apps (not even running a launcher.) Only running widget is the Analog Clock.

All I care about is the locate feature.

Thanks for the pointers.

Super security has a bunch of issues since the last release so I skipped it.

I tried Netqin but can't figure out how to remotely find the phone. You are supposed to be able to send a text message which will cause the phone to reply with the location but I must not be formatting it correctly because it doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be a lot of answers on their forum and their tech support is in HK. If I don't get an answer in the next couple days I'll look for something else.

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
That is odd then, don't know why you are having problems like that.

Ever consider running ThundeROM or nROM, if anything you will benefit from everything just running smoother in general, if you have not tried them already.

Those apps are just the first two I have heard of before hence why I mentioned them.
I know there are apps geared specificaly for locating your phone, search around appbrain and see if something looks like it will do good for you or not.

Good luck!

Disaster

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
That is odd then, don't know why you are having problems like that.

Ever consider running ThundeROM or nROM, if anything you will benefit from everything just running smoother in general, if you have not tried them already.

Those apps are just the first two I have heard of before hence why I mentioned them.
I know there are apps geared specificaly for locating your phone, search around appbrain and see if something looks like it will do good for you or not.

Good luck!

I'm avoiding rooting and romming until Gingerbread rolls around. I don't want to have to reinstall stuff twice. Of course, it could be a long wait. :)

Would prefer a lightweight location app without all the antivirus junk that has a decent trial period so I can discover any flakiness before investing in it. Will keep looking.

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I started having lots of random reboots on my D2. So I started deleteing one app at a time to find the problem. After deleteing Lookout the reboots stopped. I know this could have been caused by it conflicting with another one that I hadn't deleted yet but haven't had any problems since.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have had no problems with Lookout on my Optimus S, (with ThundeROM 1.6.2). I have the antivirus thing activated, even though I think it's silly.

If you just want lightweight location, try Prey. The free features aren't great, (no locate on demand, or activate on demand...you have to send a txt to the phone from something else, (like gmail or another phone), and then it reports back in 20 minutes), but for like $30 a year, the premium feature set has all the on-demand crap....