Hangouts won't connect after update

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Greetings. Does anyone know why hangouts won't connect to server after the latest update? I can't get it to connect on my G4 or Nexus 6. This leads me to believe it isn't just me. It has updated my Nexus 7 2013 with no problem.

Any solutions? Your responses are appreciated.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this for actual Hangouts messages, or for SMS as well?

Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Hangouts, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. If that doesn't work, then try removing your Google account completely in Settings>Accounts​, and then add it back again.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I get the hangouts message but can't reply. I also can't open the app without getting the box stating it can't connect to the server. I've uninstalled and installed several times. I'll try what you have posted. Thanks for responding.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're having problems with MMS messages on Hangouts, you might also want to double check your APN settings. Compare them with what your carrier lists on its website.

achellios

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm suffering from the same issue on my Galaxy Note 4. After the most recent Google Hangouts update (4.0.100406486), I've been unable to use the app--occasionally I'll see notifications for new messages, but opening the app or attempting to send a message flashes the "Signing In" message, followed by the error "No Connection - Couldn't connect to the server". I've noticed that uninstalling updates (which rolls the app back to version 2.4.78234730) allows me to connect to the server again.

Yarden Segal

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on both my Moto G and my Nexus 7. I tried uninstalling and installing, clearing the app cache, turning my devices on and off again.

I can use hangouts no problem when I open the app via a message notification, but if I try to open it from the menu I get the No Connection error.

Attachments

• 87064.jpg
    87064.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 10