I want music but get voicemails

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes archived voicemails start playing over the car stereo instead of the appropriate song from the current playlist on Google Music. It began recently, probably around the time of the latest VZW update for the Note 4. How can I force it to start music instead of VM? I see nothing in any of the settings menus.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes archived voicemails start playing over the car stereo instead of the appropriate song from the current playlist on Google Music. It began recently, probably around the time of the latest VZW update for the Note 4. How can I force it to start music instead of VM? I see nothing in any of the settings menus.
I'm the only one this happens to?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like your "archived voicemails" are getting stored as mp3 files on your phone and your music player is including them in your lists of music mp3 files. Does this seem to be an accurate description of your problem?

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like your "archived voicemails" are getting stored as mp3 files on your phone and your music player is including them in your lists of music mp3 files. Does this seem to be an accurate description of your problem?
That's what it seems to be. I can't see any way to deselect that folder from within the Google Music settings. Any ideas?

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
VM archive isn't showing up in G Music but accessing the phone's BT through the car stereo is bringing it up virtually every time now - it's maddening on short hops.

androidjo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried using a third-party music player? There are some great ones out there. Some free, some partially free, and some paid. Deadbeef music player is free and allows you to select folders.

androidjo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't completely understand, not being a G music subscriber. Are you streaming music? And if so, then how is music you have on your phone (along with voice mails) getting mixed up with the streaming music?

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't completely understand, not being a G music subscriber. Are you streaming music? And if so, then how is music you have on your phone (along with voice mails) getting mixed up with the streaming music?
I'm using it both to stream certain stations and loop saved playlists from it, plus there's the music I've acquired elsewhere, all playing through the app. No idea how/why it's pulling up the archived VMs too.

androidjo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Somehow your app is scanning your device and identifying your saved voicemails as audio files (which they are). We know that's happening. If I couldn't adjust the settings to exclude the folder with the voicemails, I'd use a different (3rd party) app to play the locally saved music. It might have to be a two-app solution. I'd still investigate to see whether any of the 3rd party apps could do streaming also, but I can't help you with that because I don't stream music.