Am trying to get Google Voice set up in anticipation of a trip to Mexico in a couple of weeks. So far have a GV account, and can make GV calls from my Droid easily. There's one problem though. When I do that my Droid is actually placing a call using my Verizon connection. That's fine here in the US, but I want to place calls using WiFi ONLY when I am in Mexico. Is this something that GV can do?

Note: I tested this by turning on "Airplane Mode" in my Droid, but then separately turning WiFi back on. It then connects to my home wireless and I can browse the web, but not make or receive calls directly. This is the situation I expect in Mexico. Then when I try to place a call with GV, it tells me I have to turn off "Airplane Mode" first. In other words, it seems unable to make the GV call without using my cell phone carrier.

Any suggestions?
    01-30-2010 03:37 PM
    Nope, not with the Google Voice app.

With the GV app, it dials into a Google hub, then that forwards the calls.

You need to look for a VOIP app.
    01-30-2010 09:40 PM
    Does anyone know if google is planning on modifying GV to use as a VoIP application.
    02-05-2010 10:35 AM
    Or is there a way to use GV with another app, to make a VoIP call?
    Make call > Google Voice # > VoIP app > call connected?
    02-05-2010 10:38 AM
    on my atrix when I'm at home in my wifi, I turn off the cell radio and use google voice to make and receive calls. When the cell radio is on it seems to use up minutes at att.
    09-14-2011 11:43 AM
    btw I have the google voice app on the phone and it gives me a choice of network but even when I pick gv account if the cell service is on it seems to use that or count those minutes...
    09-14-2011 11:45 AM
    GrooveIP is an VOIP app that connects to your Google Voice account. You just have to have GV set up to send calls to Google Talk. I use it all the time and it works pretty good.
    runup0#AC likes this.
    09-14-2011 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD