Looking for Ad free Battery Saver/Speed up Utility apps for Phone and Tablets?

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Looking for Ad free Battery Saver/Speed up Utility apps for Phone and Tablets

I have been using apps like Battery Doctor, Battery Saver, lots of the apps from Cheetah Mobile, etc. and really like them.

But.

I absolutely HATE, at a gutteral level, all the popup ads and requests to download this app, install this other app, etc, etc, etc.

I'm willing to pay for an app that that would do all this and not inundate me with these annoying traits. I've scanned theough PlayStore but really haven't found anything that wasn't the usual free app stuff.

I am kind of a novice when it comes to this stuff so maybe I'm not searching for it the right way.

Also, are there any apps that are better for Tablets than phones? I pretty much use the same apps on both platforms but I notice most of these apps all say things like: Optimized For Cell Phones.

Thanks. II look forward to your recomendations.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Looking for Ad free Battery Saver/Speed up Utility apps for Phone and Tablets

"None" is actually the best one. Android does battery saving and app speedup itself. Installing any of those apps wastes battery and slows the device down. (Those apps assume that Android works like Windows. Android works the opposite of Windows, and if you kill an app that Android wants running, Android just reloads it. The app kills it again, Android reloads it again, on and on, killing your battery.)

Cheetah is the worst of them all. Never install anything written by them, they have no understanding of Android. Read Multitasking the Android Way. She knows - she's involved in developing Android.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Looking for Ad free Battery Saver/Speed up Utility apps for Phone and Tablets

Rukbat is absolutely correct. You should uninstall all these apps immediately! They are actually making your phone sick! This explains why interfering with normal Android operation is counterproductive:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7114446

This long thread contains a wealth of information by some smart people why apps like you are using is a bad idea:

http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

Cheetah Mobile is the worst. Here's the dirt on them:

http://androidforums.com/threads/cache-cleaner.923369/#post-7001396

CM is hardly the only offender. Here's a list of some other vendors and apps to be avoided:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...591608-antivirus-android-not.html#post4752098

Last edited:

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Thank You for those links. I went through and removed all of them from my phones and tablets.

I also saw in one of those, it listed ES Explorer. So now, I'm wondering about file managers and which one I should be using. I think I've been using that one for about as long as I've been using Android since moving over from WinMobile/Phone when the Note2 first came out. I was just recently considering going to the ES Pro version. Glad I didn't know.

Any recommendations on file managers?

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

I'll give X-Plore a try. I recently got Solid Explorer when it went on sale and I've used FX before but can't remember why I settled on ES over FX when I was trying a lot of the out. I may give their FX+ version a try.

TE5LA

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why Android has to keep apps running you aren't using. They just drain battery. Like the camera or keyboard. If I exit an app or I'm not using the keyboard, why is it using a lot of battery? I can charge my Nexus 5 to 100% and go to work, never opening the phone and within 2 hours, my battery is at 92% after not using it or turning on the screen at all. I seldom use my phone but by the end of the day, it's down to 30-40%.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why Android has to keep apps running you aren't using. They just drain battery. Like the camera or keyboard. If I exit an app or I'm not using the keyboard, why is it using a lot of battery? I can charge my Nexus 5 to 100% and go to work, never opening the phone and within 2 hours, my battery is at 92% after not using it or turning on the screen at all. I seldom use my phone but by the end of the day, it's down to 30-40%.
The phone is a computer, and computers use power just sitting there. It's not "using" an app you're "not using", the app is just sitting there in RAM. Something has to be in RAM - random bytes, an app, data, something. It doesn't cost battery for something that happens to be an app to sit in RAM - but it does save load time if you need that app again - which is one of the philosophies underlying Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463