Google Hangouts apps not seeing all of my contacts, any suggestions?

snowsquirrel

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Google Hangouts apps not seeing all of my contacts

I enabled Hangouts as my SMS app. But most of my conversations have a phone number associated with them instead of a name. When I go to make a new SMS I only see a subset of my contacts which I can start a message to.

All of my contacts are stored in my Exchange account (Office 365). Most (half?) of them show up in Hangouts, but not all. There doesn't seem to be a pattern with email address or phone number either. As people are missing who have legit phone numbers and emails. It seems to be almost random which people do show up.

In my conversation list, some of them I can go into 'People and Options' and under People in this conversation, I can see the persons address, email, etc. When I click on them I can see their full contact card, including their name. Yet that name doesn't show in in the conversation heading, and if I hit the + to start a new SMS, I can't find their name in the list to select.

Other conversations in the list do not seem to link to the contact at all even though I do have the number as a contact.

Using Messenger or Yaata for SMS do not not have this problem. But I would like to try out Hangouts for the video ability. But if it can't handle sms, then' I won't bother.

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open Hangouts, tap Menu>Settings>SMS>Default SMS Messaging Account, and select your Google account instead of SMS--does that help?

snowsquirrel

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
It is set to my gmail/google account.

I am thinking that the problem is it is only recognizing contacts stored in my google account. I need my contacts in my exchange account, and having them in both places is a nightmare to keep them in sync... unless there are reliable automated soluions for this.

edit: maybe I am wrong... if I in google contacts in web browser under all contacts I only have 1 contact. Yet I have about 50 people in my hangouts contacts.

~S