Cross-Platform Group Messaging App That Does Not (Only) Require Wi-Fi/Data?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, everyone!

Not sure if I am asking about something that even exists... But I am trying to look for a group messaging app that has the following:

- is cross-platform (the group in question is a mixture of Android and iPhone)
- does not solely rely on Wif-Fi/data to send and receive messags
- is free to use

I realize that this kind of thing may not exist - but I was hoping that maybe something like this is out there. Some of the people within this group do not always have acess to data/Wi-Fi; hence the need for an app that does not solely rely on such things. If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that I can think of that would work reliably would be simple, old-fashioned SMS (but that would make you lose the actual 'group' messaging, since group messaging requires at least mobile data for MMS). I remember seeing messaging apps that would work over Bluetooth, but not sure iPhones would be able to install/use something like that, and in any case, that's a proximity system, so it wouldn't work for people not in the room.

I think Verizon's messaging app works both with data and SMS-capabilities, but not sure if that only holds true for Verizon users or not (since you can still install it on non-Verizon phones).

iMessage does something similar by using data for actual iMessages and when the device or data is not available, it defaults back to SMS (but iMessage only works for iPhones, so the moment an Android phone is in the group, the whole conversation would default to SMS/MMS).

Lastly, some services (I think Facebook lets you do this) let you receive your messaging notifications/contents via SMS and reply to them as well, so others can still use it with data but data-deprived devices might still be getting messages and replying via SMS. You'd have to activate this on a per-account basis, and that can lead to double notifications (SMS and data if available).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know on my iPhone I can turn data off and just use wifi.

Yup, but the OP wants something that doesn't use data OR WiFi. BBM is a data-only app (like pure iMessage, Whatsapp, Facebook's Messenger, etc.); unlike MMS, you can use mobile or WiFi data, but it needs a valid internet connection.

Chucky1

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yup, but the OP wants something that doesn't use data OR WiFi. BBM is a data-only app (like pure iMessage, Whatsapp, Facebook's Messenger, etc.); unlike MMS, you can use mobile or WiFi data, but it needs a valid internet connection.

If you don't use either, how in the world will you send and receive messages? Bluetooth?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't use either, how in the world will you send and receive messages? Bluetooth?

Bluetooth, SMS... I do remember a browser that used SMS for data. This was in the very early days of smartphones when Edge was all the rage in mobile internet access.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for your input, everyone! I guess this kind of thing that I'm looking for doesn't exist? It would have been awesome to dive into BBM again (I started off with BlackBerry devices, so I have a soft spot for them and the BBM app - I think it's an underrated messaging app that has a lot of features that other messaging apps lack); but yeah, one would need a Wi-Fi or data connection to receive messages. :(

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that I can think of that would work reliably would be simple, old-fashioned SMS (but that would make you lose the actual 'group' messaging, since group messaging requires at least mobile data for MMS). I remember seeing messaging apps that would work over Bluetooth, but not sure iPhones would be able to install/use something like that, and in any case, that's a proximity system, so it wouldn't work for people not in the room.

I think Verizon's messaging app works both with data and SMS-capabilities, but not sure if that only holds true for Verizon users or not (since you can still install it on non-Verizon phones).

iMessage does something similar by using data for actual iMessages and when the device or data is not available, it defaults back to SMS (but iMessage only works for iPhones, so the moment an Android phone is in the group, the whole conversation would default to SMS/MMS).

Lastly, some services (I think Facebook lets you do this) let you receive your messaging notifications/contents via SMS and reply to them as well, so others can still use it with data but data-deprived devices might still be getting messages and replying via SMS. You'd have to activate this on a per-account basis, and that can lead to double notifications (SMS and data if available).

You know, I do remember Facebook giving you the option to send message notifications directly to your phone by SMS... I wonder if this option could work. I dunno, it's complicated when there are those who do not have data. I've researched a lot of promising group messaging apps; but all require data or Wi-Fi connection.

givmedew

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Group.me can use WiFi, Mobile Data, and Text Messaging.

For groups it's the best thing out there. You create a group and invite people to it. You can send private messages or group messages and you can even mention people in a group message to ensure they get a higher priority alert. For example I have all my work groups muted and everyone knows it so if it's important they will mention my name in and I allow those alerts to come through. Then there are PMs too which is nice because some people in the groups might not have everyone's cell number so this is a way of looking someone up in the group and contacting them.

Only app I know of that includes text into this kind of functionality.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Group Me includes texting?! So theoretically, if one has limited/no data, they can still receive group messages and messages where they are mentioned?

Thank you so much for your comment! I will do more research on Group Me. :)

Group.me can use WiFi, Mobile Data, and Text Messaging.

For groups it's the best thing out there. You create a group and invite people to it. You can send private messages or group messages and you can even mention people in a group message to ensure they get a higher priority alert. For example I have all my work groups muted and everyone knows it so if it's important they will mention my name in and I allow those alerts to come through. Then there are PMs too which is nice because some people in the groups might not have everyone's cell number so this is a way of looking someone up in the group and contacting them.

Only app I know of that includes text into this kind of functionality.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the bottom line is that anything other than a straight SMS as a one-to-one conversation is going to require a data connection of some kind. Group messages are handled as MMS (requiring a data connection), and apps that don't use the SMS protocol will require a data connection.

SMS, by nature, is restrictive. I suppose you could find an app that sends group texts as individual SMS messages to each recipient but they then won't be able to reply to the group, losing the "group" of group messaging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo