Android in Flight - Aviation Apps?

JohnSBA

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm a VFR pilot, just bought 2 Droid X (aka DX) phones (wife and I) at Costco, and am amazed at the great aviation apps and in-flight uses I've already discovered. I've started a thread on this topic at POA (Pilots Of America dot com, thread 40704) and thought it might also be helpful to have one here. I see there are currently five other threads here on androidCentral that came up listed as similar even though I hadn't found them in my prior search, but all have few posts and none more recent than October. Given how incredibly fast the Android scene is moving, I'm hoping this can be a thread with a focus on aviation that's kept updated with new posts. I'm currently keeping the POA thread updated, and welcome help keeping this one updated too.

What I'm personally seeking right now are free VFR apps, but other pilots seem to be looking for good logbooks, IFR apps, EFBs and of course everything else you can imaging. As described on POA, my wife and I flew a 172Q on a looping round trip from SoCA to Canada just after buying our DXs and no time to read directions. Even so, we found them incredibly useful in the cockpit and on the ground. Given that Costco is now selling the DX for $49, that device in particular seems likely to gain many aviation users with its combination of large screen and excellent performance. Add the new Android tablets and all the other great Android devices, and aviation seems like a big growth area for 2011.

I've found it difficult to get useful results searching for aviation apps on the Market. Please share your discoveries on all aviation-related Android apps so we can all benefit from your experience. My current fav is the free OruxMaps (OruxMaps), and I was told by the developer that a new version may be released next weekend restoring the free VFR Sectionals that had been coming from RunwayFinder. RMaps has them now, but lacks the many great features of OruxMaps. Right now I'm using the stock task-switcher (long-press Home button) to use both apps, with gMaps terrain on Orux and Sectionals on RMaps.

Update: I'm disappointed to learn that links here on androidCentral can only be seen by subscribers, so I've edited this post to add names so you can at least search for specific apps on the Market.

Last edited:

TXZach

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This is just the forum I was looking for...but sadly no updates. Anyone have a link to a similar forum? I am a HUGE android fan and user, but may be going iPad for electronic flight bag reasons.

fangzz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
new user of androids here. Found a pretty good wx app on androidzoom.com, aviation weather, free download.

Keep this thread going. Looking for a free app of airports like AOPA'S. Theirs is only for iphones currently

cvearl

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Search for a product called "Aviation Tools" on Android Market!!!! This is a fantastic tool. Amazing, clean, full featured. Just see it for yourself. I believe it has both online viewing of airport AFD, airport diagrams, approach plates as well as offline download option for airport favorites. Tethered from your Android phone to tablet, you can pull up the weather. Nearest. Map showing position and distance to airport and bearing. Truely amazing tool. I paid for the 2.00 donate app version. To keepnthis guy moving ahead. He deserves it. This is easily a 15.00 app!!

For a decent digital chart down load app I found "OpenFlight Map". You can find it on the market. They have a free one, a pay one with plane position overlay with your GPS. And one called unlimited. Not sure what that one adds. The free one does sectionals and if charts. Click spots for choosing chart sometimes a little winky but it works. Once you play with it a bit, all is well.

Sporty's has an Android based e6b.

"Spin a wind" is pretty cool.

Flight Plan Mobile is really cool. You can download approach charts and AFD's by state in packs for offline viewing. Works great!

cvearl

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh and a product not on the market but direct from the developer is from Avilution. Just Google avilution.

The dev website shows it all.

C.

cvearl

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Fltplan mobile has been getting some big updates. They just added fltdeck guide. A full airport information directory. Like a big AFD in digital format with search by area or airport. Shows frequencies, phone numbers, basic runway data, links to all kinds of extra bits of information like local airport business names and phone numbers.

Search fltplan mobile on the Android app store. Fltplan not flightplan.

C.

cvearl

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Just stumbled on one in the app store called AVIATION AIRPORT GUIDE. This one is both apple and Android. Basically another AFD type app.

C.

pplsteve

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone! I just made an app that you might find useful called the Aviation Fuel Burn Calculator. It's useful for cross countries, especially if you're renting. There are two different methods for easily calculating the fuel burn. It can be found by searching for it on the market or at this link
I am planning on making updates, please let me know if you have any suggestions!

jchism

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I stumbled across a pretty handy little moving map app that works really well...and best of all, its free. Go to navzilla.com and download it. I've been using it for a couple of months and am very pleased with it. The only downside is that the nav info is one version behind the FAA, so it might not be completely current.

JohnSBA

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Avare is new one to check out. A really remarkable No Ads, Free, open-source, moving-map aviation app. Works on any device running Android 2.2 or newer. Currently has VFR Sectionals & TACs, about to add IFR Low & WACs + TFRs, METARs, AFD & Airport Diagrams, 50 Nearest airports. Also has a feature I really like: long-press any point on the chart to get the compass direction & distance From your Destination (perfect for radio calls). More features are being added really quickly.

Avare was created by my friend Zubair, a GA pilot in Boston who has been installing Android on OEM phones for several years. Search for Avare on the Play store (Link), or visit the apps4av (dot com) website for more info. See the Avare Intro (Link) on the Apps4Av (Link) website.

Last edited:

dehyman

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Fltplan.com is free and while it does not have moving map, it is incredibly useful. Tools include maps, weather and NavLogs, approach charts, a listing of airport details and a way to file a flight plan to name a few. I recommend this. I have it on my Android phone and tablet and various PC's.
AnywhereMap is a terrific moving map program with many tools including flight planning and filing. While not free it is worth the price of admission. I use this extensively in the cockpit, I have tried a lot of programs and I always return to this one. Works on phone and tablet.
Avare is a free program with ability to download sectionals, WAC's, TAc's etc. Planning is a little clunky but the sectionals are clear. I have it on both phone and tablet.
Two weather programs-"Aviation Weather from NOAA" and "Aviation Weather with Decoder" are interesting though the NOAA interface is rather clunky.
Aviation Tools and Aviation Pocket Knife are fun and useful tools.
AOPA has their FlyQ Pocket but they only do a moving map for the iPad. So it really is not worth messing with.
Garmin Pilot is a very useful tool. It is not free but it is not that expensive. It gives you sectionals, approach charts, a moving map and you can split the screen to give a GPS generated six pack. Neat program
Naviator is nice little program. I used the introduction version. I found it difficult to plan a flight. Did not really like it and have not upgraded.
SkyDemon has an absolutely gorgeous interface and is easy to use. At $239 for the first year moving map it is a little too expensive for my blood. Otherwise I certainly would buy it.
All of these are available on Android Playstore.
Out of all of these, the ones I use the most are fltplan, AnywhereMap and Garmin Pilot.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs