Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Default Sprint Integration for Google Voice Active!

Hi Guys/Gals,

I just got this email from google saying that I'm signed up for the sprint integration w/ GVoice. Not sure if everyone got this, or if I'm special... but if someone doesn't have access to this yet and would like to ask me a question feel free to post it here and I'll do my best to test it out (I have an EVO). I've just started messing around with it but it seems pretty neat. Still trying to figure out all the features. The email I got is quoted below:

"Hello,

You have been invited to start enjoying the benefits of the Sprint integration before anyone else! We are interested in your feedback as we roll this out to the entire user base and have listed an email address below where you can send feedback and or questions.

There are two ways to enable the integrated service:

1. Option 1: Keep your Sprint number (all the benefits of porting without the need to). In this case, your Sprint number becomes your Google Voice number so that when people call your Sprint mobile number, it rings all the phones you want.

How to enable this: click on the "change/port" link next to your GV # in the settings page, choose the option to use your existing number, enter your Sprint number and select the Sprint option.

2. Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS).

How to enable this: click on the "enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone" link next to your Sprint forwarding phone. If the link does not show, click on edit and use the link to verify whether your phone is eligible.

In both cases, Google Voice replaces Sprint voicemail (pressing one on your phone links you to your Google Voicemail) and international calls made from the Sprint phone will be connected by Google Voice. Integrating your account with Sprint means you will still get the benefits of Any Mobile Any Time if that is included in your service plan.

Important Notes:

The integrated service only works with a valid Sprint mobile number.
    For this early release, Sprint support channels will not be available for support, including Sprint Retail Stores, Sprint Customer Care, Sprint Telesales, Sprint Direct Sales Reps, etc.
    If you need support, please direct your questions/comments to (edited_out)@googlegroups.com with your Sprint or Google Voice number listed.
    If you use the Google Voice app on Android, you will need to log out and log back in to make sure the app stops using call interception.
    Thanks,

Vincent Paquet, on behalf of the Google Voice team
    "

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Cool man looks like you got into some early access program. I hope I get a email like that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre - Evo 3D

To use your stock messaging app, make sure you have the checkbox marked to send text messages to this phone.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18815554/goo...-preview-4.png
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

@riggsandroid

Where is that option? Is that under settings on the online interface for google voice? I would love if I could return to the stock messagint app...

Right now I love being able to make and recieve calls from my computer. I also like being able to save time by texting on my computer while I'm at work, I don't have to pull my phone out every time.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

oops didn't see that picture you attached... let me see if it works

Check out the link I posted - it shows up there.

It is under Voice Settings - Phones - Edit Mobile - should have a similar screen as shown in the link.

All SMS sent from your stock messaging app appear in your GV online account. However, the SMS sent from voice, do not appear in your stock SMS app.

So all received texts go to phone and google voice, but not all SENT texts appear on the stock SMS app.
    Thanked by:

Default old gv number

after switching to your sprint number does calling your old GV number still ring your phones?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by riggsandroid View Post
    Check out the link I posted - it shows up there.

It is under Voice Settings - Phones - Edit Mobile - should have a similar screen as shown in the link.

All SMS sent from your stock messaging app appear in your GV online account. However, the SMS sent from voice, do not appear in your stock SMS app.

So all received texts go to phone and google voice, but not all SENT texts appear on the stock SMS app.
    Ok, I just did this and you're right, it looks like I'm getting all recieved texts. Man, it would be sweet if it synced instead of duplicated texts like that... I may turn this option back off. The other problem I see is that if I reply to an SMS from my native application, it doesn't show up in the conversation thread in gvoice... That kind of sucks as I text a lot.

I think for now I'm going to turn off "send texts to this device" and just use the google voice texting, I don't like recieving dual notifications.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    after switching to your sprint number does calling your old GV number still ring your phones?
    Google disables this number once you enable your sprint number. They also give you 90 days to decide if you want to permanently throw it away. At the end of 90 days, your old google voice number will be thrown away completely. If you change your mind before that, you can re-enable your google voice number. But no, I don't believe calling that # after enabling my sprint number will ring my phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18815554/goo...-preview-5.png

Looks like you get to keep it for sometime. However, I believe at that time, it is lost.

Similar to what happens if you port your cell # to your GV account without the cell provider.

So - It still works currently but not indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dnomyar220 View Post
    Google disables this number once you enable your sprint number. They also give you 90 days to decide if you want to permanently throw it away. At the end of 90 days, your old google voice number will be thrown away completely. If you change your mind before that, you can re-enable your google voice number. But no, I don't believe calling that # after enabling my sprint number will ring my phones.
    It does work but will stop after 90 days as you said.

Default changing to other carrier

what happens if I change carriers after I have ported my number to Sprint as the Google voice #. Will sprint release the number back to Google? I can port it to another carrier but then it will not be my Google voice #. Will I need to get a new Google voice #???

Quote Originally Posted by 32str8 View Post
    what happens if I change carriers after I have ported my number to Sprint as the Google voice #. Will sprint release the number back to Google? I can port it to another carrier but then it will not be my Google voice #. Will I need to get a new Google voice #???
    You can try emailing - voice-sprint-preview@googlegroups.com to see if you can get a response. Not sure how that works.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Damn for some reason phone calls are currently not ringing my phone or my gchat on my comp... it was working good last night. It eventually goes to voicemail and then alerts me of a missed call, but never rings. I'm going to try this with a few other phones, I'm wondering if it's because I'm calling my phone from an "unknown" number?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Damn for some reason phone calls are currently not ringing my phone or my gchat on my comp... it was working good last night. It eventually goes to voicemail and then alerts me of a missed call, but never rings. I'm going to try this with a few other phones, I'm wondering if it's because I'm calling my phone from an "unknown" number?
    alright false alarm, this appears to just happen when I call from my desk phone at work... maybe because it's an unkown number, not sure.

I'm not sure I even WANT integration between my Sprint and Google Voice numbers.

I've been using my Sprint # as my primary personal number for some time (been my cellphone number for like 9 years now), and my Google Voice number a my primary small-business number. I like having them separate and distinct. Google Voice shows me its caller ID whenever someone calls and gets forwarded to my cellphone, so I can distinguish between calls personal and calls business.

It's been a great and convenient setup that I wouldn't want to disrupt by merging numbers.

Also - some basic questions for this service.
    1. If I make my google voice number my primary, and I move carriers, will my google voice number be abandoned, or can I port that number to a new carrier?
    2. If I move carriers and my carriers number has been made my google voice number, what happens when I move?
    Sprint Galaxy S3 - rooted but still stock for now.
    Nook Color running CM7

Quote Originally Posted by FractalSphere View Post
    It's been a great and convenient setup that I wouldn't want to disrupt by merging numbers.

Also - some basic questions for this service.
    1. If I make my google voice number my primary, and I move carriers, will my google voice number be abandoned, or can I port that number to a new carrier?
    2. If I move carriers and my carriers number has been made my google voice number, what happens when I move?
    Number 1: You Should Always Have Access To Your "Google Voice" Number Unless You Delete/Close Out You Google Account.

Number 2: Google Will Recognize That Your Mobile Number Is No Longer With Sprint And Won't Let You Use This New Service.

PS: I Use Google Voice The Exact Way You Do Except (This Could Help You): I Have It Where It Shows The Callers ID With The Announcement Feature Checked Off. That Way I Know Who's Calling Before I Pick It Up, I Know That It's From A Google Voice Call Because It Announces When I Accept The Call AND Lastly I Can Listen While They Leave A Voicemail And I Can Pick It Up If I Want To.

Default Now My Scenario....

• My Number is the number that friends and family have

• 1st Google Number is ONLY for work purposes

• 2nd Google Number is where I would have My Number be used with "Sprint Google Voice"

Once this is done, if someone calls my 1st Google Voice Work Number will it route to My Number or will Google Voice NOT allow this because calls from a Google Voice can NOT be forwarded to another Google Voice Number?

What will happen if someone calls my 2nd Google Number?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Question for the OP:

1.) which option did you choose? 1 or 2

2.) what happens when you send/receive an mms from the native app?

thanks, waiting to enable this feature on my plan.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by eruji View Post
    Question for the OP:

1.) which option did you choose? 1 or 2

2.) what happens when you send/receive an mms from the native app?

thanks, waiting to enable this feature on my plan.
    1) I chose to keep my sprint number and integrate it with google (get rid of my google number).

2) I just sent an MMS with my native app (native android app). It sent fine, and the reply my friend sent came in OK too. It sucks that this isn't integrated with google, but... whatever.

So far my experience has been mostly good. There's a few points that I don't like:

1. The GChat desktop client I have doesn't ring when my phone rings, I have to actually be on a gmail.com page for my computer to ring (seems like google could figure that one out...)

2. I really hate that the native SMS client doesn't sync with the google voice texting page. You have to use the app to text people. It doesn't seem to flow 100% smooth.

3. I get double notifications of missed calls. If someone calls and I don't pick up, my native phone dialer shows a missed call notification. Then, the google voice app will also display a missed call notification.k

All my calls have gone smooth, both from a PC and from a computer. I love that when I call a friend, they have no idea I'm actually using a computer and not my cellphone... it's invisible to them which device I use. I could be on a plane and make a call from my laptop using my original number. If I'm in Europe, I could make a call from my laptop and it would still be a local call if I'm calling the united states (free long distance from my sprint acct). That's pretty cool.
    Thanked by:
    eruji 

I'm also interested in finding out if you can still receive MMS while using your Sprint # with GV... If you don't lose that functionality, I'm gonna be all over this once it's live. I'm also curious whether you can unlink the Spirit # at a later date and pick out a new GV #.

My bad, when I wrote the previous post I hadn't refreshed to see that last post... That's good news, thanks! Seems like the notifications issue could be an easy fix on their end too. Can't you disable missed call notifications on the GV app? Just taking a shot in the dark, I've yet to use it... There doesn't seem to be a way to disable them within a regular Sense ROM. If that's the worst that I have to put up with then they've done a pretty good job imo!

The stock SMS app not sync'ing with GV, or rather GV not accessing the standard SMS DB to copy messages sent by the stock app, is probably something that can be fixed but I dunno if they'll bother. Google probably prefers you just use the GV app and Sprint would have to work with each phone manufacturer and Google to make sure all the SMS apps play nice together.

Btw, when you said they don't sync you meant that texts sent/read from the native app aren't registered on the online GV account no? Or does it go further than that? Can you somewhat seamlessly transition from texting at the PC to the phone? Or will you have a bunch of unread texts on the phone after texting for a while thru GV on a PC? My apologies if it seems like a dumb question, never used GV before tbh... Hyped for this tho.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Thanks for clarifying and confirming the MMS.

1.) I can confirm that my desktop Google Talk does not ring ever. I can only receive calls while gmail.com is open. So i dont think this has anything to do with the Sprint integration settings.

2.) i hate the app version of GT for texting. I find it a pain in the *** to sift through all the VM's and missed calls to text people. I know there are shortcuts to doing this from your contacts. but i just want it to work like the native msg app.

3.) Seems like a minor annoyance. i tried to look through my android GV settings to disable the notification but not sure.

Im mostly excited about this feature for my wife, as she gets confused trying to only text from GV app. Im wondering for her (and most people, if the GV app is even needed on the phone if all of your phone calls/texts come from your number of choice) you would loose the GV visual voicemail and the international calling rates i think. But for a casual user that might not be crucial.

What happens if somebody calls my sprint assigned number if I select option 2 to use the google voice number? Will it ring if somebody calls it or is the number now dead.

Global Posts
    694 Global Posts

I had the same issue. When calling my GV number my EVO wouldn't ring (from any number). I found something in the help section of GV that said to delete your phone number in GV (mobile device) then re-add it in GV. This worked from me.

Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Can anybody confirm that you do not lose your GV number if you choose Option #1? I want to try this out, but I would hate to throw my GV number away, as I give it out to a different group of folks (small business again).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast