Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need a good way to sync photos to my Android phone

Hello,

I need a way to sync photos from my PC to my android phone (Samsung Captivate). The most important requirement here is that it syncs "optimized" versions of my photos. Each of my photos are 5MB each and I do not need that kind of DPI on my phone. I'd prefer much smaller sizes of each image be uploaded to my device to save space. Could anyone recommend a method that meets this requirement? Thanks!

Rather than transfer photos to my phone, I put my photos in the cloud, with something like Picasa, and then you can view them from anywhere, including your phone with a Picasa app.

+1 for Picasa.

You can view all your Picasa photos directly from your phone if you have the Gallery 3D app installed on your phone (first run may take a while to sync if you have a lot of pics/photos). I also have Picasa Tool Pro on my device for uploading from camera to Picasa. You can use Picasa Tool Pro for view also, but I find it simpler to view with Gallery 3D.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I don't really want to do that for several reasons:
    1. It consumes bandwidth to simply view the photos.
    2. It is very slow to browse through photos, especially if you are on 3G or Edge networks.
    3. It requires an internet connection and if I go visit rural areas I won't have access to the internet.
    4. I use SugarSync to back up my photos to the cloud, so I don't really want to use Picasa.

Ideally I'd use SugarSync to sync my photos to my phone, but my total family photo collection is about 8GB in size. I don't want to consume that much space, I wish I could tell SugarSync to sync "optimized" photos to my phone but I can't do that.

Any other ideas? Thanks for the help so far guys.

This isnt a perfect, but maybe it will help....

You could run your collection through a batch optimization on your pc and then sync only the optomized ones with whatever your preferred syncing method is.

Photoshop does this and I would guess GIMP can be setup to do this, not sure if your are familiar with either program though.

It's possible other programs like picassa can do this as well, I'm not sure.

Some programs can even be setup to have "watch folders" that will run the automated script whenever a new file is put into that folder.

Or you could setup a scheduled task in Windows (or whatever the Mac equivalent is, I forget).

Anyways, just some ideas,
    hth
    Bluetooth music and data sharing: BlueMuze
    Share app lists, contacts and images: Listables