[FREE][App] Checking mobile (GSM/UMTS/LTE) signals

lerdsuwa

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi

I would like to present Rx Monitor, an Android app to check mobile GSM (2G)/UMTS (3G)/LTE (4G) signal status including the surrounding neighbor cells. Here is the link to the App https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=net.sf.rhino.rxmonitor&token=IYQYHmaN :D

It's unfortunate some phones do not support this app, notably many of Samsung's phone (see Forum | SAMSUNG Developers ) You can try the app to see if the list of neighbor cell is shown or the signal level is changing, if not then your phone is not supported. :(

Information the app gathered are presented in 3 tabs:
  • Overview: information about the mobile network the phone is connecting, current voice and data status and the list of registered (or connected) cells. Tap on any information to display additional help. If you have Android 7.0 or later, the frequency band used is also available.
  • Neighbor: list of all neighbor cells the phone is aware of. The registered cells information is also shown for easy comparison. Phone can obtain more information about registered cell than neighbor cell.
  • Chart: chart showing signal strengths of registered and neighbors.

The focus in my app is that, unlike many signal checking apps, neighbor cell information are provide. This give you a new dimension on understanding the network. Following are examples of use cases for this app:

• Find out how well you have LTE coverage. Whether you are in the cell area with strong LTE signal from one cell or at somewhere around cell edge where LTE signal from two or more cells have similar signal strength. If the cell you are using has problem, whether there is any other cell with good coverage as backup.
  • If your location only has 3G UMTS coverage, you can find out what is the signal level of LTE. You can walk around with this app to find out where LTE coverage ends and the service drops to 3G.
  • If you have Android 7.0, you can check signal level of LTE belonging to different bands. What is the signal level of the band you prefer (for example with large bandwidth, 4x4 MIMO, etc.) and which band the phone is using.

Here are the screenshots for all three tabs:

Screenshot_20170114-overview.jpg

Screenshot_20170114-neighbors.jpg

Screenshot_20170114-chart.jpg

Here is example of the help when you click on information in Overview or Neighbor tab. Help content is context sensitive.

Screenshot_20170114-help.jpg

Hope you will like my app. If you have any suggestion or comments, feel free to leave it here. :)

lerdsuwa

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
My app has just been updated to version 2.0. In this version, there is one new tab Events that records various events that might be useful when monitoring mobile network signals including: start/stop of measurement, changing operator/networks, changing voice/data states, changing cells.

Here is a screenshot of the Events tab in the new version (I have to switch out of Rx Monitor to the phone Settings for force the phone to 3G and back to 4G):
Screenshot_20170211-145739.jpg

tsperling

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello lerdsuwa.

Great APP ! I like how much information you get from the phone.
I don't have much experience with Android.
I was wondering if there is any chance I could check the source code?
I wanted to learn how your app works.

lerdsuwa

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I am sorry the source code is not available. If you just want to know Android programming, you can get start by enrolling some courses at Udacity which I learned this skill from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa