Alternatives to Skype - low system demands, working on windows 7

Hamster127

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi all.

First of all, let me greet the people here, as I am new.

I am looking for an alternative to skype since the mobile phone I want skype to be installed on, does not seem to meet the system requirements. Basically, what I want is as follows:

• I want to be able to talk over the internet, with me on my Windows 7 PC, and the other end on an Android Phone.
  • I want the program to have as little hardware and software requirements as possible (on the Android phone side).
  • I want it be free.

If video chat is also possible, its better. But, if there is a program that can only use voice chat and has less system requirements, I would prefer it.

I apologise for not simply `trying out all the software first', but the person using the android phone is not very technic-savvy and as such, even registering on a new platform like skype is not easy. As such, if I could have a few suggestions of really low-system requirement programs that allow for free chatting (over the internet), I would appreciate.

Cheers.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! Welcome to the Forums! And as for that, the list is vast! Hangouts and Allo (yes, separate apps, similar uses... Google crazy) seem to be fit for that. Google Voice would work for messages and voice calls, but that would need you to be in the US as it's a new phone number (but uses data for calls).

Whatsapp is also less resource-hungry than Skype and has a web interface you can use on a PC and is compatible with a lot of older phones (although for older ones voice/video calls might be restricted). Viber is also an alternative, but in my experience, it's buggier than Skype.

Hamster127

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for the replay SpookDroid. Yes, as you say, the list is vast. That was also partialy the point of this thread. I guess I will try a few of the ones you have mentioned.

I am really not looking for any bells and whistles, just the simplest one there is. If the ones you have listed don't work, I will post here again. In the mean-time, if anyone has an other suggestion (preferably not too many, since, as I said, checking them is a bit difficult), it will be appreciated. I will check this thread every so often.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The one with the least bells and whistles and ease of use is definitely Allo, but I'm not sure if that only has video calls (I haven't used it).

Hamster127

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much. I will try Duo first then. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Edit: I looked at it and I am not sure if it works on Windows 7. One would have to emulate android for it I guess, which is a bit too much hassle.

Edit^2: I think I will try hangouts and whatsapp, if they don't work, then I will try mumble. If neither work, I will come back :D. But thanks so far for the suggestions.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, you're right, forgot about your PC requirement. Duo is mobile-only. But Hangouts does have a PC client (you can even use it in GMail). If you don't want/have a mobile for one end of the call, though, Whatsapp won't do it. While it has a web interface, it needs a valid mobile phone connected to data to work (call still goes through the data on the PC, but to authenticate and work, the Whatsapp client on mobile needs to be active and connected, otherwise it won't work on PC).

appssai

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Howdy folks, today post was an exceptionally intriguing and one of a kind one since today i talk about another and diverse point which is presently drifting in online we are all utilizing Skype right...??? is it accurate to say that you are intuition like this if Skype is boycott what we do...??? in the event that it happen what we need to do...??? try not to stress folks if Skype not accessible there are such a variety of Skype choices are there...

so today my theme is

what are the Skype options,

step by step instructions to download it

how might we utilized it

there are such a variety of i pick Top 5 Alternatives applications and talk about

along these lines, how about we begin.

before talking about this theme just i reveal to you something which is exceptionally fascinating in 14-18 th century there is no any correspondence offices right.. so what they used to convey among them anybody know..??? i disclose to you they essentially make a picture and they speak to what they need. comparable route in present era video calling is the best wellspring of correspondence

Alright coming to topic....

Skype is the best and great video calling application that is the reason all the more then a large number of individuals utilizing this.

on the off chance that this a lot of interest the application will gradually down in interfacing for servers like this issues raised.

so i prescribed first option video calling application is

1) Oovoo video call content and voice application :

Oovoo is the best option for Skype. it is perfect with all stages like android, iOS,Mac,Windows.

the best part is you can visit and call your companions roughly 12 at any given moment.

you can record and transfer YouTube too. for calling and visiting your companion He/She no need this application they can talk from Facebook as well. that is sounds cool right.. also, it is a free programming.

2. Vox app
Voxox is additionally a best option for Skype it is backings right around 37 dialects and backings all stages Android, Windows and Mac. it is additionally enables you to share your photographs and visit over fax.

clients can call landlines,mobiles and global call with low costs.

3. Viber app
coming to viber it is a mobile app noe it is supports all platforms, viber users can make voice and video calls around the globe. you can call any device which is installed viber. now, viber is the most downloadable alternative for Skype

4. Slack app
slack is a lesser and open platform, it is work only for third party apps, chart part is in-built but sharing done via Dropbox and google Drive. users can share real-time analytics using Data Dog and Squared. This app is compatible with iOS and android. it is mostly used by businesspersons and entrepreneur.

5. We chat
we can say we chat can be best replaces for Skype in android platform. users can share their videos and photos while in online, they also post there updates on wall like Facebook. we chat app has feature called "shake" by we can find friends from our locality, we chat supports, voice chat, video chat, group chat and emoticon chat it is a free app download right now..

OK guys there are lot more apps like ekiga, google hangout, voca, vsee etc also alternatives for skype.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac