Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't turn off Facebook notifications!

I'm having a problem with the Facebook App! I don't use it a lot so I don't like to have alerts for it every two seconds (like when 100 people comment on something that I commented on). I made notifications for Facebook inactive and have tried everything I can think of to turn it off.

I'm sure there is a very easy solution for this, but right now all I have done is logout of it when I'm not using it... but I like to have it logged in because of the contact sync. All I want is to have alerts turned off.

Any ideas?

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Rather than just switching it to inactive, have you tried turning the update intervals to never?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, I have done that as well. Would it make a difference if I made the notifications active but turned the intervals to never? I don't see why it would but maybe...?

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

It's worth a shot... I was just looking in the settings and thought it could possibly help.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Unfortunately that hasn't worked either.

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Try uninstalling, a battery pull then re install. Only other thing I can think of. You can always switch to a different FB app like Seesmic or Tweetdeck.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

If you have an HTC device, go Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync. You will see that there is a "Facebook for HTC Sense" entry. Edit that entry so that it only syncs your contacts/address book. At least, that's what I had to do.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin
    Thanked by:
    TJude 

I read something today...I think on Mashable...there was an issue with Facebook re-enabling notifications for many users by mistake. Login to facebook and check your settings there.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

All of my settings seem to be right, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by crump84 View Post
    Try uninstalling, a battery pull then re install. Only other thing I can think of. You can always switch to a different FB app like Seesmic or Tweetdeck.

How do you uninstall Facebook app? I only know how to uninstall apps I downloaded in the Market.

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyclonic / CM9 + WebOS

Quote Originally Posted by yuliya-sergeyevna View Post
    All of my settings seem to be right, weird.

How do you uninstall Facebook app? I only know how to uninstall apps I downloaded in the Market.
    If facebook came pre loaded on your device you'll need to rooted in order to unistall.

Default Re: Can't turn off Facebook notifications!

y dont u just log out?

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

After you turn off the notifications you will also need to uncheck all the boxes. If you don't the checked boxes override the no notification setting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Current: Verizon Galaxy Nexus with CM10
    Past: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible
    Blackberry Bold, Blackberry Tour, Blackberry Curve
    Samsung Delve (what a joke but started it all)
    and a bunch of dumb phones

Default Re: Can't turn off Facebook notifications!

I just figured this out on my Verizon Droid Razr running JB 4.1.2 and FB 2.3. There are two ways to get to the screen where you can choose which notifications you want:

1) Open the FB app. Press the 3 lines at upper left. Press Account and then App Settings. OR
    2) Open the FB app. Press the 3 lines at lower left. Press Settings.

Hope this works for others!