Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Davanw
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Canadian ROMs

Default Text Message from Mac?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knew of an app that allowed to send my text messages to my mac, and then allow me to reply to them. I've been using android-notifier with notify.io for a while, but it doesn't let me respond. SyncSMS does very similar things, but its from Android Phone to Android Tablet. Any suggestions?

Don't know if this would work for you, but my wife doesn't have a data plan (she doesn't want a smartphone), so she just emails my text number. I get it as a text on my phone, which I can reply to and she gets it back in her email.

Many people (at least that I've talked to) don't realize you can use email to send texts to people, or vice-versa, send a text to an email address. You just need to know the address, but here they are based on carrier: How To Send Email To Any Cell Phone (for Free)

(it's from 2008 but I know the Sprint addresses still work). So my "text" number is my [email protected] (i.e [email protected])

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Many people (at least that I've talked to) don't realize you can use email to send texts to people, or vice-versa, send a text to an email address
    Dude thank you so much!!! I kinda knew that was possible in the back of my brain but never really utilized that feature until RIGHT NOW! Thanks again.

Not an app but I use Google Voice for this. You can send/receive SMS from any internet-connected PC via the GV site. Comes in handy for the times I forget my phone or even when I'm sitting at my desk at work (or home for that matter).

Gmail from a desktop also allows you to send and receive SMS. You have to go into Google Labs in Settings and enable it. There is a 50 msg limit at first but you can earn or buy more.

Doc

I agree with takeshi! I use GoogleVoice all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Not an app but I use Google Voice for this. You can send/receive SMS from any internet-connected PC via the GV site. Comes in handy for the times I forget my phone or even when I'm sitting at my desk at work (or home for that matter).
    I second this. You can have your text messages forwarded to your gmail address, which can then be forwarded to other addresses (if necessary).

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Apps that do this exist. Search the market for "sms2pc" or "remotesms" or "mobiledit"

I haven't tried any of them, but they apparently allow you to compose sms from your computer (mac and pc) and transfer sms back and forth.
    alr582003 likes this.