having a STRONG error 491 on playstore!!

joseph jassen

May 1, 2017
Visit site
You may have wondered why I called it strong and wrote it in upper case letters!! Its because I have found it strong indeed. Since I got this phone from my bro I have been experiencing this error.

I tried trouble shooting methods in Google help but they didn't help at all!!

I then searched as many forums as I could only to find answers that were mostly similar and couldn't work for me despite working for the subjects that needed the help in those forums. To mention some, I did the clearing cache and data in google playstore and Google play services, factory resetting the phone which involved loosing the shared apps!! Signing in with an account but they all didn't work!!

Well perhaps I have to explain the account part. When I was creating an account, directly from the phone it stayed that it "couldn't access server" (something of that sort I can't remember the exact words). I was therefore forced to use a computer to create a Google account and feed in an account that already exists. That worked and the account was saved BUT the error 491 still prevailed.

Its fine to call me a hopeless wanderer but come on android central!! Show me what you got!!
There have to be answers here!!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Removing the Google account and adding it back is the standard solution for this error. Strange that it didn't work for you and even a factory reset didn't fix the problem. What phone do you have?

There are some reports of a similar problem and in some cases it's related to Google+ or some app permissions.

Google+. Go to settings - apps - select Google+ - force stop - clear data and then disable/uninstall/uninstall updates (the available options will depend on your phone). Restart the phone and see if the problem persists.

Permissions. In setting - apps - Play Store make sure all the permissions are checked.