GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess Sprint got wise to this. Both 4G and 3G will not register GrooVe IP now.

It does work on the Galaxy Tab!

I ran into a similar problem today where I couldn't register on 3G. I think it was my phone's data connection got into a screwed up state. I stopped the app, put my phone in airplane mode for a few seconds, then out of airplane mode and restarted the app. That fixed it for me. Might be worth a shot. Or try restarting the phone.

NCPictures

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I ran into a similar problem today where I couldn't register on 3G. I think it was my phone's data connection got into a screwed up state. I stopped the app, put my phone in airplane mode for a few seconds, then out of airplane mode and restarted the app. That fixed it for me. Might be worth a shot. Or try restarting the phone.

OK..... this was a major durrrrrrrr moment. I didnt have Allow 3g/4g calling checked.

Sing with me.... if I only had a brain.......

theyownus

May 17, 2010
Visit site
- Fix an issue that was causing choppy voice in the middle of calls on certain phones (LG Optimus)
- Add an autostart option for the app to start when the phone starts
- Add ability to turn off the notification icon

I am on the verizon $50 messaging unlimited 4g data plan on the thunderbolt and this app is great because calls are 25c/min... I was using cspisimple and paying for a phone number but it was extremely laggy and ate through my already lacking battery life. groove ip has provided a much better and realistic solution that allows me to have a free incoming phone line!

An idea:
I like the idea of removing the notification icon but would like to know if the app goes offline. seems like when i lose mobile data in elevator or stairwell the registration is dropped but does not restore until i unlock the phone and then I see the icon turn from red to green within a few seconds. Can we get a notification if the registration is lost so that we don't miss any calls? like a "notify on lost registration" check box. this would be really helpful... perhaps a custom tone and/or vibration? A notify on successful registration would be helpful as well so that if it auto registers once data is restored we get a beep?

many thanks for an awesome program!

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I am on the verizon $50 messaging unlimited 4g data plan on the thunderbolt and this app is great because calls are 25c/min... I was using cspisimple and paying for a phone number but it was extremely laggy and ate through my already lacking battery life. groove ip has provided a much better and realistic solution that allows me to have a free incoming phone line!

An idea:
I like the idea of removing the notification icon but would like to know if the app goes offline. seems like when i lose mobile data in elevator or stairwell the registration is dropped but does not restore until i unlock the phone and then I see the icon turn from red to green within a few seconds. Can we get a notification if the registration is lost so that we don't miss any calls? like a "notify on lost registration" check box. this would be really helpful... perhaps a custom tone and/or vibration? A notify on successful registration would be helpful as well so that if it auto registers once data is restored we get a beep?

many thanks for an awesome program!

The icon should change to red when you lose registration. It's a periodic poll so it may not be immediate but it should be within a few seconds. Or do you mean some audible notification?

I was pretty impressed with the verizon 4g network. We tried using the app a few times on the Thunderbolt and I'd say that was the best call quality I've seen outside of WiFi.

theyownus

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The icon should change to red when you lose registration. It's a periodic poll so it may not be immediate but it should be within a few seconds. Or do you mean some audible notification?

I was pretty impressed with the verizon 4g network. We tried using the app a few times on the Thunderbolt and I'd say that was the best call quality I've seen outside of WiFi.

yes what i was requesting is an audible notification and option for vibrate. Im not a fan of the alwasy on notification, but I'm concerned that if I set the notification to be cleared or off that once registration is lost i will not know that i am not receiving incoming calls.

edit:
I now see that icon will pop back up in red if registration is lost, however an audible notification would be great. ability to vibrate also would be even better.

btw... thanks for the quick response!

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
yes what i was requesting is an audible notification and option for vibrate. Im not a fan of the alwasy on notification, but I'm concerned that if I set the notification to be cleared or off that once registration is lost i will not know that i am not receiving incoming calls.

edit:
I now see that icon will pop back up in red if registration is lost, however an audible notification would be great. ability to vibrate also would be even better.

btw... thanks for the quick response!

Personally I like vibrate better than audible. But I can make it an option. Will write that down.

theyownus

May 17, 2010
Visit site
how about choose vibrate and or audible. either or both?
thanks! I probably have a few more suggestions coming. Is this thread the best way to bring up issues/suggestions?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
how about choose vibrate and or audible. either or both?
thanks! I probably have a few more suggestions coming. Is this thread the best way to bring up issues/suggestions?

Here or via email is good. I'm thinking I'll add a checkbox or dropdown for the audible/vibrate. So leave the current drop down. And then have a separate setting whether to notify via vibrate or audible also. Might toss in vibrate first since it's easy. Audible will require me to dig up a tone and figure out what length sounds good. But will get both in.

Actually could probably make the tone configurable too. Tone selection, by default silent. and a vibrate checkbox.

Reactions: theyownus

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Correct, google voice app doesn't work over wifi

i assumed it would because...well, it's google, but it makes sense now that google voice is not a VoIP. i didn't expect all the hoops to have to go through to get it to actually work via wifi. looks like this/your app, GrooVe IP, will save from having to deal with all the additional setup. nice. thanks for the prompt responses.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
i assumed it would because...well, it's google, but it makes sense now that google voice is not a VoIP. i didn't expect all the hoops to have to go through to get it to actually work via wifi. looks like this/your app, GrooVe IP, will save from having to deal with all the additional setup. nice. thanks for the prompt responses.

No problem. Hope you like the app. Let me know if you have any ideas for enhancements or new features!

webwzrd

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the app this morning - Great solution for what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Few other things I've noticed:

Bluetooth works great - missing the ability to answer with the bluetooth earpiece directly, but that's minor.

I was testing it by calling the wife in a different room... it rang, she answered and started talking. On my end it was still ringing for another 5-10 seconds or so and of course I missed everything she said during that time.

My wife also noted that everything she says gets echoed back to her.

It appears that I can't be signed into GTalk either on my desktop or with the GTalk app on my phone or else incoming calls go to VM. But I'm not sure because sometimes it goes straight to VM even with those shut down.

webwzrd

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, found the help screen; I had to turn the gain and volume down and that virtually solved the echo. I read where it is true that I can't be signed into Google Chat or Talk anywhere - Does this mean it would make sense to get a second GV number? Still experiment with settings to improve voice quality on both ends.

Last edited:

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, found the help screen; I had to turn the gain and volume down and that virtually solved the echo. I read where it is true that I can't be signed into Google Chat or Talk anywhere - Does this mean it would make sense to get a second GV number? Still experiment with settings to improve voice quality on both ends.

A second voice number would fix the issue of signing into chat or talk. I'm starting to think it's also an order issue, so you may be able to experiment with signing in in different orders to see if that also fixes it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar