Can't remember name for automation app

davidtor3

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
A couple months ago I saw an article on Engadget for an app that would run certain programs when you plugged something into your phone. I.E. plug your charger into the micro USB slot and it would automatically run an alarm clock app.
I didn't have an android phone at the time and now that I do can't seem to recall its name, can anyone help me out here?

thanks.

bleedblue

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Tasker would probably be it. There are a few, like locale and Llama (the latter not doing nearly as much, but a small taste of what is possible) as well as others, I believe.

But Tasker is probably the one you've heard of as it is the most in depth and feature filled one available. Amazing application. A little bit of a 'learning' curve but you get the idea pretty quickly, and you are only limited by your imagination and/or ability to find other profiles by people.

Definitely check it out. IMO it is an entirely necessary application for 'power users.'

So, yeah; Tasker.

:cool:

Reactions: davidtor3

jprins68

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,
A couple months ago I saw an article on Engadget for an app that would run certain programs when you plugged something into your phone. I.E. plug your charger into the micro USB slot and it would automatically run an alarm clock app.
I didn't have an android phone at the time and now that I do can't seem to recall its name, can anyone help me out here?

thanks.

I think that the app they were referring to was Plug In Launcher. Locale and Tasker, etc. may have the same functionality but they also do a lot of location/time based functions too. Plug In Launcher only looks for something being plugged in and reaction how you see fit. I use it to launch Google Listen when I plug in headphones. It works very well, is lightweight, and best of all it is free.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Llama will do all these things as well.

I started using Llama a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. I have it set to turn off wi-fi when I leave the house and turn it back on when I come home. I also have it set to adjust the volume when I'm not at home. Most similar to this particular topic is that I have it set so that when I plug in headphones (or the cassette adapter in the car) it turns on Pandora. It's very versatile and FREE!