Seeking ABCDEF keyboard

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can get a patch or app that has a standard Qwerty keyboard layout but with the letters in alphabetical order, Abcdef? I really hate using Qwerty on a mobile. Or where I could find something to let me rearrange them? Then (last) I wonder if SlideIT or Swype would work on it?

Thanks for answers.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Not to be a wise@$$, but if the keys are arranged in alphabetical order then it is no longer a standard QWERTY keyboard. ;)

Sorry, I know of no app or keyboard replacement that does this. Once you learn how to use a QWERTY keyboard, it really is much easier to type on. Christopher Latham Sholes, yes the same guy the Droid was codenamed after, did a wonderful job placing the most used letters so that it would be easier to type using alternating hands, or thumbs when spelling common words. :)

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know it's not Qwerty then but I wanted to be clear I didn't want the phone (T9?) ABC, DEF, etc., I just want seperate keys. I type just fine on the computer because I don't have to look, but I hate qwerty on small keyboards because it's a louse arrangement. What's wrong with ABCDE, I want to know. I saw one with 3 or 4 letters per key but I think you moved up or sideways to select. And if someone can design a keyboard with the most common used letters left and right, how can I design one alphabetical?

robthree

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got used to T9 on my phones now I have to learn how to peck it out like a chicken. I think it would be interesting to try the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard.

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Not to be a wise@$$, but if the keys are arranged in alphabetical order then it is no longer a standard QWERTY keyboard. ;)

Sorry, I know of no app or keyboard replacement that does this. Once you learn how to use a QWERTY keyboard, it really is much easier to type on. Christopher Latham Sholes, yes the same guy the Droid was codenamed after, did a wonderful job placing the most used letters so that it would be easier to type using alternating hands, or thumbs when spelling common words. :)

+1,000,000,000 i laughed so hard...could be because i'm doing my taxes and hate it...

OB1J3D1

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually the qwerty keyboard was designed to slow users down. That was way back when typewriters had physical arms for each letter. If you typed too fast the arms would get locked... So qwerty was designed. The original configuration was abcdef.

Since this is my first post I cant post the link, but wikipedia QWERTY.

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I just can't see abcdef being a very good typing configuration...

It's like this... I know my ABCs since forever, could sing it, say with my eyes closed, fly through it in a few seconds, BUT I couldn't list all the letters on the Qwerty and I've been typing that way since high school. So if I type with two hands, it's easy, but with one finger (you know which one), it's the old Hunt and Peck.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It's like this... I know my ABCs since forever, could sing it, say with my eyes closed, fly through it in a few seconds, BUT I couldn't list all the letters on the Qwerty and I've been typing that way since high school. So if I type with two hands, it's easy, but with one finger (you know which one), it's the old Hunt and Peck.

This is a fun discussion... Ok, so you memorized the alphabet and can't recite from memory the QWERTY layout out loud. Here's an exercise to demonstrate why your argument has NOTHING to do with ease of typing...

Close you eyes, and type the word "the". Easy, right? Now, close your eyes and type the word "the" as if the keyboard was arranged alphabetically. Huh? That's darn near impossible. I would have absolutely no idea where to even start with that mess.

Point is: memorizing the alphabet and NOT having the qwerty keyboard layout committed to saying it out loud are completely unrelated to ease or speed of typing.

However, to answer your question... No, I have no idea if there's an app for an Abcd keyboard layout.

PS, "the" would be "zit" on an alphabetic keyboard. I Thought that was funny.

Last edited: