Quick Post (Twitter & Facebook posting)

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: Quick Post is now available in the marketplace: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hedami.quickpost

And there's a 7-day free trial version available: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hedami.quickposttrial

-------------------------------------------

I've been an active member of the PreCentral (webOS) community for 2 years, both as a user and a developer. For those of you who are or used to be webOS users, you may be familiar with some of my apps: Music Player (Remix), GeoStrings, and Quick Post.

I've begun porting Quick Post to Android and iOS (using the Appcelerator Titanium development toolkit) and thought I'd introduce the Android community to the app. It allows you to post quickly to multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts simultaneously. It's goal is to allow the user to focus on the content of the message, not the logistics of posting (counting characters, retweeting msgs to multiple accounts, or even whether there is an active internet connection).

Here are some of the many features found in the app (all of which will be ported to Android):

- Send messages or photos to multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts simultaneously. Photos can be uploaded to twitpic or yfrog for Twitter accounts. And for Facebook accounts, photos are uploaded directly to a Facebook album.

- Configure multiple "default" destination accounts where messages will be sent. Or choose the destination accounts on a per message basis.

- When no internet connection is present, messages are queued up. Once your internet connection is restored, the messages are automatically sent.

- Advanced configurable message compression techniques are used to ensure messages fit within the maximum character limit. Each compression technique is applied in series so the message is only compressed enough to fit within the character limit.

- Messages that fail to compress enough will be automatically split into muliple pieces with X/Y message counters. Twitter mentions will be automatically cc'd to each message piece.

- Incomplete messages are automatically saved as a draft. When you re-open the app, you can restore the draft including the previously selected destination accounts.

- Optionally assign your own titles to your accounts. By default your screen name is used as the title.

If you have any questions about the app or have any suggestions, please feel free to post them. You can also hit me up on Twitter (@Hedami).

Last edited:

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Coming soon: Quick Post (Twitter & Facebook posting)

Quick Post is now in private beta! All of the features listed above have been included in the app as well as location sharing.

On an account-per-account basis, you can define whether posts will be sent with location information by default. And for each message you can toggle the location-sharing flag. For Twitter accounts, your exact GPS coordinates will be displayed. For Facebook accounts, you will be able to choose a public place close to your current position to check into.

Also there's a fun Easter Egg hidden in the app. You can see a demo of the hidden feature here: https://twitter.com/#!/hedami/status/86596177600065536

The app should be ready soon after the beta testers put it through its motions. I'll also be posting a demo video soon. So look out for that. To keep up the latest news on the app, follow me on Twitter (@Hedami).

Also if you have any questions or feature ideas, please post them here.

Here are some screenshots of the app:

quickpost_android_1.png

quickpost_android_2.png

quickpost_android_3.png

quickpost_android_4.png

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I've added a new feature that I'd thought I'd share. As mentioned above, when messages are too long to fit in the Twitter/Facebook max char limits, they're compressed. If the compression isn't sufficient to reduce the char counts enough, messages are split into multiple pieces. Now you'll have the option to specify the max number of split message pieces. If that count is exceeded, you can choose to post messages using Twitlonger.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Here's a screenshot of the newly expanded Preferences screen:

quickpost_android_3.png

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I've added the ability for other apps that display a "Share via" popup to send text to Quick Post. For instance here's the default Browser sharing a link with Quick Post so you can quickly send a link to your Twitter and/or Facebook accounts:

quickpost_android5.png

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Dan,

I had not seen that you were over here!

Welcome! Can't wait to see what you do next!

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm not sure what I'll work on after Quick Post is released. But I'm sure I'll come up with something.

vlbrown

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Trial version and could like this a lot... except that it's 6MB and can't be shifted to the sdcard! :(

Please make it movable and/or shrink it substantially and I'll be happy to pay.

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure what I'll work on after Quick Post is released. But I'm sure I'll come up with something.

How about a WebOS cards like multi tasker. I would love that on my evo and had it with itching thumb butvita no longer on the market.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Trial version and could like this a lot... except that it's 6MB and can't be shifted to the sdcard! :(

Please make it movable and/or shrink it substantially and I'll be happy to pay.

Thanks for the feedback... I'll look into it.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
How about a WebOS cards like multi tasker. I would love that on my evo and had it with itching thumb butvita no longer on the market.

That would be interesting. I've actually been enjoying using Wave Launcher as my task switcher.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.0.4 has been released to the Play Store. Here's the changelog:

- New Feature: Quick Post can now be moved to the SD card

- Enhancement: Switched to Twitter API version 1.1 (since 1.0 will be deprecated soon). NOTE: Yfrog doesn't support Twitter API 1.0 so it's being replaced with img.ly.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.0.5 has been submitted to the Play Store.

Here's the changelog:

- Enhancement: Add the title of a website when a browser shares a link with Quick Post.

- Bug Fix: Fix flickering issues on the Help, Preferences, and Account Detail screens that occurred on devices running Android 3.x and later.

The trial version expiration has been reset so everyone can try it again. If your trial version has expired, uninstall it then reinstall it from the Play Store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke