Keep getting Phone Fusion notifications

bluelite#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I recently powered up my Tbolt and noticed a strange graphic on my notification bar. I opened it and it was a notice stating
" a new version of Fusion Voicemail is ready to install (version 2.3.2.0). This application requires free registration with Phone Fusion"

Then it got scary:

"If you uninstall this application without properly cancelling, your voicemail WILL NOT WORK! You must cancel by logging into your account and following instructions"

Is this spam or a virus? Malware? Or is this HTC bloatware?
I do not recall ever downloading "Phone Fusion" or Fusion Voicemail" , but a check revealed "PFvoicemail plus" cuurently running.

How can safely remove this without messing my phone up?
Thanks for any help.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you use the voicemail app to retrieve messages? A quick Google search shows that the app was removed in February because of payment issues. Rather, offering a free app on the market then redirecting users to it's official site to get a paid version.

I don't know if it's been re-instated, but that doesn't really matter in this situation. Try going into applications and force stopping the app. If that doesn't work then root and remove the app.

bluelite#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you use the voicemail app to retrieve messages? A quick Google search shows that the app was removed in February because of payment issues. Rather, offering a free app on the market then redirecting users to it's official site to get a paid version.

I don't know if it's been re-instated, but that doesn't really matter in this situation. Try going into applications and force stopping the app. If that doesn't work then root and remove the app.

No, I use Google voice for my voicemail. I have never opened this app or registered for this service.
Unless it's bloatware and was already on my phone when I got it, the only logical conclusion is that I must have downloaded this app. Otherwise, how did it get in my phone? Could this app have been bundled with something else I downloaded? Since I use GV, I never had a need or desire to dl this app.
I also googled it and noticed their being dumped from the market, raising my concerns.

I can go to my settings and uninstall easily, but there is a warning if I don't register with them I may lose all voicemail.

Any info/help on this app would be greatly appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You won't lose any voicemail if Google Voice is what you use. All messages are stored on Google's servers so don' worry about that. Just delete the app. If it was bloatware you wouldn't even have been able to delete it without root access. It must have come bundled or accidentally downloaded.