Android 2.0 - Facebook Integration

kinneyrhs

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hey all,

I will be picking up the DROID next Friday from Verizon and had a question about the way it integrates with FB.

I know it mentioned having a contact database that integrated together with your Gmail and Facebook apps. But right now, I still have a lot of crap in both of those (including friends i don't talk to or even want in my phone). Is it possible to go through and pick and choose which contacts and contact information to integrate in from Gmail and FB?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
it is lust like the BB set up it goes and grabs all contacts and pictures and updates your phone book..no picking and choosing.. on bb u can check this feature or not have it..

akamekon

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
There are 3 options.

One is basically a full mash up. It will combine ALL of your Facebook contacts with all of your address book.

Another will ONLY sync the Facebook contacts that ALREADY EXIST in your phone address book. (This is the one I'll be using).

The last is simply no integration.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
for the second option, how does it figure this out? is it like the way it does it on blackberry where you manually link the contacts the first time? i would really rather have it like that

akamekon

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure, but from the screenshots I saw, it appeared to be automatic (probably by name or e-mail address), so I doubt you will be able to manually link contacts.

kinneyrhs

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
There are 3 options.

One is basically a full mash up. It will combine ALL of your Facebook contacts with all of your address book.

Another will ONLY sync the Facebook contacts that ALREADY EXIST in your phone address book. (This is the one I'll be using).

The last is simply no integration.

Nice! Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will definitely be doing only the ones that exist as well.

Is this also the same for Gmail? There are a lot of Contacts that get into my Gmail Contacts from being used a few times that I definitely don't want on my phone.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
with gmail what i've seen is you can sync a group, or a selection of groups, or everything

so just put the people you want to sync over in the my contacts group or something and you should be golden.

for facebook, it seemed like (in a video or web site, i don't remember where) that it would combine the contacts based on name, and that it was finneky about spelling (normal) but also capitalization. i really hope it doesn't turn into a mess. they were saying if it didn't sync over properly, it was a pita to get it fixed.