Don't know if I want to rely on Google Maps Navigation without full offline support

arjen82

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I love Google Maps and the Navigation option. But I would not want to have to rely on it as primary/only navigation option in my car. Without full offline support (not only downloading maps, but also starting up navigation and entering addresses/POIs) it is not a viable option to me.
Roaming costs when driving abroad (I live in The Netherlands and spend a reasonable amount of time driving around of time in surrounding countries) and areas with no/bad internet connection will hamper the possibilities to get home quickly.
Any indication if/how Google wants to deal with these situations?

GIkari

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I really, really hope that they make it so that you can do this. I would really appreciate if you could choose what areas are stored locally. I don't need the entire US stored on the device, maybe let you choose by state, by drawing a circle, or even saving data for a specific trip.

"OK Goole save data for a trip from x to y"

I rarely travel out of maybe a 50 mile radius as it is.

Double bonus if your selected area is updated at regular intervals with changes to POI's as places open, close or move.

Posted from my Nexus 5

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Have the Android Auto enabled car provide/be a wifi hot spot as part of the package.

I know at least Audi is capable of being a mobile wifi hotspot. Not sure about other auto manufacturers...

Last edited:

ohgood

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I love Google Maps and the Navigation option. But I would not want to have to rely on it as primary/only navigation option in my car. Without full offline support (not only downloading maps, but also starting up navigation and entering addresses/POIs) it is not a viable option to me.
Roaming costs when driving abroad (I live in The Netherlands and spend a reasonable amount of time driving around of time in surrounding countries) and areas with no/bad internet connection will hamper the possibilities to get home quickly.
Any indication if/how Google wants to deal with these situations?

osmand
locus
sygic
and a few hundred others

courtneyftw

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I really, really hope that they make it so that you can do this. I would really appreciate if you could choose what areas are stored locally. I don't need the entire US stored on the device, maybe let you choose by state, by drawing a circle, or even saving data for a specific trip.

"OK Goole save data for a trip from x to y"

I rarely travel out of maybe a 50 mile radius as it is.

Double bonus if your selected area is updated at regular intervals with changes to POI's as places open, close or move.

Posted from my Nexus 5

This would be AMAZING. Poke Google with a stick so that they can get on it!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has any accurate information on just how Android Auto will work. But I don't see any reason Google Maps will be any less capable than the current implementation on phones, which support offline caching. (Right?)

And it's Android, so you should be able to download third party apps if you need more capability. I'm willing to bet that navigation apps are racing to add Android Auto support.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The Google Maps on the phone ARE the maps on Android Auto. The content is on the phone. The car is simply a display and UI for the phone. If you've cached a map on your phone then the map is cached. There's only one map.