Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By arjen82
  • 1 Post By GIkari
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Don't know if I want to rely on Google Maps Navigation without full offline support

I love Google Maps and the Navigation option. But I would not want to have to rely on it as primary/only navigation option in my car. Without full offline support (not only downloading maps, but also starting up navigation and entering addresses/POIs) it is not a viable option to me.
    Roaming costs when driving abroad (I live in The Netherlands and spend a reasonable amount of time driving around of time in surrounding countries) and areas with no/bad internet connection will hamper the possibilities to get home quickly.
    Any indication if/how Google wants to deal with these situations?
    courtneyftw likes this.

Default Re: Don't know if I want to rely on Google Maps Navigation without full offline support

I really, really hope that they make it so that you can do this. I would really appreciate if you could choose what areas are stored locally. I don't need the entire US stored on the device, maybe let you choose by state, by drawing a circle, or even saving data for a specific trip.

"OK Goole save data for a trip from x to y"

I rarely travel out of maybe a 50 mile radius as it is.

Double bonus if your selected area is updated at regular intervals with changes to POI's as places open, close or move.

Posted from my Nexus 5
    Science is the power of Man.
    courtneyftw likes this.

Have the Android Auto enabled car provide/be a wifi hot spot as part of the package.

I know at least Audi is capable of being a mobile wifi hotspot. Not sure about other auto manufacturers...

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts

Default Re: Don't know if I want to rely on Google Maps Navigation without full offline support

Navfree

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    922 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arjen82 View Post
    I love Google Maps and the Navigation option. But I would not want to have to rely on it as primary/only navigation option in my car. Without full offline support (not only downloading maps, but also starting up navigation and entering addresses/POIs) it is not a viable option to me.
    Roaming costs when driving abroad (I live in The Netherlands and spend a reasonable amount of time driving around of time in surrounding countries) and areas with no/bad internet connection will hamper the possibilities to get home quickly.
    Any indication if/how Google wants to deal with these situations?
    osmand
    locus
    sygic
    and a few hundred others

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Hi,
    Mappy GPS Free is great but I don't know if the app is available out of France.

Quote Originally Posted by GIkari View Post
    I really, really hope that they make it so that you can do this. I would really appreciate if you could choose what areas are stored locally. I don't need the entire US stored on the device, maybe let you choose by state, by drawing a circle, or even saving data for a specific trip.

"OK Goole save data for a trip from x to y"

I rarely travel out of maybe a 50 mile radius as it is.

Double bonus if your selected area is updated at regular intervals with changes to POI's as places open, close or move.

Posted from my Nexus 5
    This would be AMAZING. Poke Google with a stick so that they can get on it!