Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Future Updates

Looking to get a new car by early next spring. I'm really interested in Android Auto but don't want to wait till it's fully available (in case of delays). Anyone know if the auto manufacturers will be able to add this via software/firmware updates or does it need special hardware to operate. I'm guessing a hardware retro fit will cost an arm and a leg... and a kidney.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Viper

Default Re: Future Updates

I can tell you that there are already cars with Android auto installed. They are just not yet in full production. They will come out next year.

Google has been working on this program longer than you may think. I first used a head unit with it a couple of months ago and did not fully appreciate what I was looking at.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Future Updates

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I can tell you that there are already cars with Android auto installed. They are just not yet in full production. They will come out next year.

Google has been working on this program longer than you may think. I first used a head unit with it a couple of months ago and did not fully appreciate what I was looking at.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I've read in recent articles that it needs hardware in the car to work.

I'm also hoping that it's an easy, on the fly transition from the vehicle's infotainment system to Android Auto. Would suck to have to connect and disconnect the USB every time to switch between the two.

Posted via Android Central App