Android Auto first impressions thread (and ask us anything!)

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Can someone provide some more specific information on how the music control works? When I am in the car I will want to either activate a particular playlist that I already have or activate a particular radio station that I have stored offline. How do you activate various playlists and radio stations through Android Auto?

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Can someone provide some more specific information on how the music control works? When I am in the car I will want to either activate a particular playlist that I already have or activate a particular radio station that I have stored offline. How do you activate various playlists and radio stations through Android Auto?
You have to use a supported app. Like Google music or spotify

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes I understand that. Sorry, I was referring specifically to Google Play Music and asking how specifically does the voice control work for activating specific radio stations or playlists.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Not sure about radio stations but for playlists I think you would want to try using the voice control to launch that. Again, I don't think the voice control and Google Play Music works the way I'd hope it would. I'd have to mess around with it.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Why would you want a HU with built in nav when I can mirror or AA for google maps?

I missed this. The reason I opted for this, was for the case where I couldn't get the mobile signals required for Google Maps.

However, now that Google Maps is soon to have an "offline" mode I wonder how that factors in.

That (and a couple of other reasons) is why I went for the 8100NEX rather than the 4100.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Is there anyway to turn off text pop up and reading temporarily?

Yes, you can disable notification access for Android Auto (as far as I know, those are the only notifications it reads right now)
Are you using Hangouts when you get these?

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got a call from my local installer who will be putting in the Kenwood system for me. He had to call Kenwood since these HU's seem to be nowhere. He was told that they will be shipping towards the end of the month because they are being held for some Apple software patch.

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I do believe in Kenwoods with a single USB, the Phone and iPods should not be able to be used at the same time. But there is an HDMI port on these units, which means if you want to use iPod for music you will forego Android Auto and use MHL/HDMI for smartphone stuff instead. (If you go this route you can actually use Waze).

Would I be able to use USB for AA and bluetooth for iPod classic at the same time?

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Would I be able to use USB for AA and bluetooth for iPod classic at the same time?

I would go with the pioneer models for this since they have two USB ports. Hook you iPod up to USB 1 and use USB 2 for AA. That way you can listen to your iPod and have AA going at the same time.

Posted via Android Central App

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes the iPod I have has bluetooth and it's not the touch, its the nano. The pioneer doesn't have screen mirroring which I want.

Last edited:

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes the iPod I have has bluetooth and it's not the touch, its the nano. The pioneer doesn't have screen mirroring which I want.

I haven't used these units but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a Bluetooth Audio device like the nano at the same time as an HDMI connected phone (or Android Auto) for that matter. The only issue I believe may come up is that on those HDMI connections, Bluetooth connection for the phone may also be used for audio).

I don't have enough information on 2014 models of Kenwood that have HDMI smartphone integration that have used this alongside other Bluetooth devices. Or USB devices for that matter. Also note, that I think that on the 2014-later Kenwood units with this HDMI/MHL integration, some newer phones like the Samsung Galaxy S6, which omits MHL, may not work at all for mirroring. The phone you use must have MHL to HDMI output. Not quite sure if the audio connection is also handled through HDMI in this situation. I know that phone control is.

ellieana

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
All the information I see from Hyundai mentions the Sonata versions by upgrade package - Sport, Limited, etc - if they have the Nav on board. They mention how nice the 8" display looks. I have a 2015 Sonata Limited, Hybrid engine. It has the screen, but it looks like ~6" to me, not 8. Although the press releases say "2015 Sonatas", all of the pics I've seen here and other "hands on" demo articles are from standard engine models.

Is the screen size a limiting factor here? Because I REALLY want this. Google Maps alone makes it worthwhile! Have an appointment Saturday and told the dealer I want Android Auto and they seemed sort of bewildered ("oh... umm... hmm... ok... wow, youre the first person we've had call about that") so I got nowhere there.

tl;dr - '15 Sonata HYBRID Limited - Y/N?

*Note 4 running Lolli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech