What is up with the Galaxy S5 Voice compatibility with Android Auto?

el2ok1217

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a bypass install to my Pioneer stereo. I just re-installed Android Auto and I have verified that my (Google Play Services is 7.3) I will give it another try when I get out of work and give you guys updates As I Hopefully get it to work *Crossing Fingers*

el2ok1217

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
*UPDATE*.... So i tried connecting my phone via USB 3.0 cable and still given the same issue. Looks like the Sprint Galaxy S5 is just not compatible with the service of Android Auto just YET... I say Yet because I'm just hoping there's a firmware update soon that will fix the problem. I will keep you guys updated once i get it up and running!!! =)

justeric78

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Your experience sounds the same as mine.I

To get rid of your "Android Auto Can Not Connect Right Now" message, make sure your parking brake is applied (or that you have a bypass that mimics the parking brake function).

I think the most important thing to have updated for Android Auto right now is Google Play Services. Since you're on a Sprint S5, you may not have the issues those of us on VZW are with AA. Check your version by going into Settings > Applications > Application Manager to find Google Play Services and find the version you're on. If you're on 7.3 and above you just might be ready to go.

Wow, checked my version on a Verizon s5 and it's 5.3 I believe it was. When clicking the version number it tells me it's up to date. That's probably why it's screwed up. I wonder why we can't update to 7.3.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow, checked my version on a Verizon s5 and it's 5.3 I believe it was. When clicking the version number it tells me it's up to date. That's probably why it's screwed up. I wonder why we can't update to 7.3.

I don't know what the procedure is on a Samsung GS5 phone, but on my Nexus 5, the way that Play Services gets updated is when updating an app that requires an updated version of Play Services. The system will then put up a notification saying that "Such and such app needs an updated version of Google Play Services". Upon tapping on the notification, the Play Store opens to the Update page for Google Play Services. Then you can press the Update button for it and it will update like any other app.

After that, the original app that needed the update can be updated like normal.

Doing a search for Google Play Services in the Play Store will not find it. It's a special system-level app. As far as the version numbering goes, I believe it may vary depending on the device, at least in terms of build number. For example, my Nexus 5 has Play Services version 7.3.29 (1866531-438). My Verizon LG G3, which was just updated to Android 5.0, has 7.3.29 (1866531-430). On the G3, the update to Play Services didn't appear until several apps demanded it (Hangouts, in particular) after Android 5.0 was installed. (I don't know what version of Play Services it had prior to Lollipop.)

The differences in build numbers is reason enough to NOT try to side-load Google Play Services from sites like Android Police. There's no telling what device- or carrier-specific differences there are, and it's possible that some of the flaky behavior that some users get on their phones is the result of past side-loading of the wrong version of that special system app.

P.S. Keep in mind, we're talking about "Google Play Services", not the "Google Play Store" app. For reference, my Google Play Store app is at version 5.4.12.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what the procedure is on a Samsung GS5 phone, but on my Nexus 5, the way that Play Services gets updated is when updating an app that requires an updated version of Play Services. The system will then put up a notification saying that "Such and such app needs an updated version of Google Play Services". Upon tapping on the notification, the Play Store opens to the Update page for Google Play Services. Then you can press the Update button for it and it will update like any other app.

Doing a search for Google Play Services in the Play Store will not find it. It's a special system-level app. As far as the version numbering goes, I believe it may vary depending on the device, at least in terms of build number. For example, my Nexus 5 has Play Services version 7.3.29 (1866531-438). My Verizon LG G3, which was just updated to Android 5.0, has 7.3.29 (1866531-430). On the G3, the update to Play Services didn't appear until several apps demanded it (Hangouts, in particular) after Android 5.0 was installed. (I don't know what version of Play Services it had prior to Lollipop.)

The differences in build numbers is reason enough to NOT try to side-load Google Play Services from sites like Android Police. There's no telling what device- or carrier-specific differences there are, and it's possible that some of the flaky behavior that some users get on their phones is the result of past side-loading of the wrong version of that special system app.

P.S. Keep in mind, we're talking about "Google Play Services", not the "Google Play Store" app. For reference, my Google Play Store app is at version 5.4.12.

I think that's the same thing that happened to me.

justeric78

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Missed that, I was checking the store. I have 7.3.29 for services.

Gary Oyer

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Since last week, something has updated so now my S5 is now recognized by the USB2 on my Pioneer 8100. Like everyone else my S5 says android auto is not compatible on this devise. The Pioneer says to disconnect when safe. I have checked my Google Play service and it is above a 7.3 version. Wish they would get this fixed soon!

justeric78

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Since last week, something has updated so now my S5 is now recognized by the USB2 on my Pioneer 8100. Like everyone else my S5 says android auto is not compatible on this devise. The Pioneer says to disconnect when safe. I have checked my Google Play service and it is above a 7.3 version. Wish they would get this fixed soon!

I have given up, since they fixed the S6 I ordered one and my troubles should be over on Monday. Sad they did not test this better with more phones and have better information upon release.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Sprint S5 owners, does plugging your phone into the USB on a computer prompt an installer for 30 seconds like the Verizon ones do?

sportbikedave

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
There is a new android auto update, haven't tried it yet.

I tried the update. Still the same problem except now it is worse. I have letters overlaying the screen (with my gmail address) over the android auto screen on my AVIC-8100 or sometimes I get the "not compatible with your device" screen on the phone

sportbikedave

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
So I found out why the update caused the random letters displayed over the screen of the head unit. It looks like Google accidentally released to the Google play store a version of Android Auto that was not supposed to be released to the public. They put the random letters over the screen for their prototype/internal beta test versions. Sure enough, they released another new version to the Google play store about a day later. I downloaded that version and the random letters were no longer displayed over the screen, but still nothing fixed for compatibility for the S5.

Gary Oyer

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I checked into getting an S6 but they have turned it into and android ICrap by removing my memory card and not allowing me to change my battery.
Plus I still do not know if android auto works on it.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I checked into getting an S6 but they have turned it into and android ICrap by removing my memory card and not allowing me to change my battery.
Plus I still do not know if android auto works on it.

The S6 does work with Android Auto, but unfortunately, they went the "iCrap" route (as you put it) with everything else; waiting for the new Note instead.

Michael Carbone

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Voice compatibility with Android Auto

I am Michael. I just got a new 7" Pioneer. My galaxy 5 doesn't recognize the android auto function. It is 5.0 lollipop but still doesn't work. The blue tooth works. I was told the galaxy 6 will work. Not happy

Posted via the Android Central App

killab95

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Voice compatibility with Android Auto

What pioneer head unit did you get, only certain models are compatible with android auto.

Also sprint and verizon s5's are currently incompatible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae