Android Auto vs: Moto X

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey Phil... et al

So I'm trying to want this thing (actually ordered one yesterday but cancelled this morning) as it seems Pioneer did a pretty nice job on the unit.

But, I am looking through the Android Auto stuff and am coming away with the opinion that this seems a step backward from the Moto X. Moto X does not require me to touch, or even look at it to read and send texts, phone calls, start navigation, initiate audio playback. Android Auto seems to require me to touch the screen to read, touch to reply... essentially look at the screen and touch it one or more times to do anything.

Phil... you had a Moto X for some time (so you know how it works), am I missing something?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Good points, all. But having a proper head unit really is a different experience than using a phone in the car.
  • The UI is far less distracting. (Android Auto, anyway. The Pioneer UI is pretty awful.)
  • I've got the external microphone mounted in the cluster. So I imagine it hears me a little better? But, yeah, Moto X is hands-free.
  • Bigger display. Much bigger.
  • And much bigger touch points, so you don't have to think anywhere near as much about what you're stabbing at.
  • And far fewer distractions. I've got my phone connected with a 6-inch cable, so it's actually pretty difficult to pickup and futz with while using Android Auto.
  • tl;dr: I think I'm definitely driving safer with Android Auto versus having a phone at the ready.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you're concerned about having to take your eyes off the road in order to initiate a voice command, you don't.

Sure, if you want to touch the microphone on the screen you might have to glance over there to find it, but a better way to initiate voice commands is to either press the voice command button on your steering wheel or, if you don't have that button, press and hold the center home button on the Pioneer head unit itself.

The latter option has two advantages: 1. You can feel the physical button, therefore not needing to look to find it, and 2. You don't have to have the Android Auto screen displayed at the time. You can be on any Pioneer UI screen to initiate a voice command.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The UI is far less distracting. (Android Auto, anyway. The Pioneer UI is pretty awful.

Heh heh. Can't be any worse than the Fujitsu-Ten Eclipse I have now.

Within your "ring of insiders", has anyone heard anything about when more API's will be made available, specifically ones that would allow apps like Torque Pro to make its way to Auto?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana