Pandora and other Apps w/ Android Auto

Covert_Death

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
HW: Pioneer NEX 4100

I cannot get Pandora to work when using Android Auto at all. If I plug the device into the USB port the built in Pandora app disables (even if not using Android Auto). I at first figured this was due to to it wanting to use Pandora via AA now but under music the only app I can select is Google Play Music. Has anyone had any luck getting Pandora to work with AA? They were supposed to be an original app partner and have support but on 3 phones I have tried, nothing works.

Any experience you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

PCfrustration

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Android Auto is still in its infancy and therefore almost useless to me. I listen to Pandora in the car all the time. Here are the problems with it that Google never thought of:

1) it's a wired connection... WTF? I have to pull out my phone from my pocket and connect it to a wire? That's too much to do when you hop in your car especially if you're in a rush. Bluetooth is good for audio only but very slow with sending large amounts of other data. Fortunately there's this new technology called WiFi Direct that solves the problem. It's a device to device wireless connection and Samsung has been using it for 2 years now (called Screen Mirroring) in their Smart HDTVs.

2) It's too limited as far as options and app design because of Google's focus on limiting distractions for driving. An example is how you are limited to 6 touches for any menu system. If a list of songs needs to be scrolled more than 6 pages down it gets truncated or cut off. That's just dumb, Google!

3) No Pandora or other popular app support AND Pandora and other apps are DISABLED... Again, Google, ... That's just dumb!

I have the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX and I tried AA once. That was the first and last time I used it. No Pandora and having to connect my phone to a wire totally kills the AA experience for me.

Oh and just a note to those looking to buy the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX: Even with the latest firmware update (1.03 currently) it does not launch the Pandora app after establishing a Bluetooth connection (with Phone and Media Audio). The Pandora app on the 4100NEX only syncs up the screen if the Pandora app is already running in the phone's RAM aka the background. Every time I get in my car I have to pull out my phone and open the Pandora app manually. The audio will come through my car speakers right away every time but if you want the screen to sync with your Pandora app you have to touch the Bluetooth/Pandora connect icon in the bottom center of the screen after you get the Pandora app running on your phone. It sounds minor but after having to do this procedure 500 times it gets annoying.

Hopefully all the above issues get worked out soon. I really don't want to shell out another $1,000 (including installation costs) for next year's models that work with "Android Auto 2.0" (using WiFi Direct instead of this outdated wired connection crap). Come on Pioneer and Google!!!! Work together and come up with a not-so-half-ars idea please.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Come on Pioneer and Google!!!! Work together and come up with a not-so-half-ars idea please.

Android Auto definitely feels half baked, but when did Google ever fully bake an initial release? That is just not their nature.

The OEMs are on board because they know customers want better connectivity between their cars and phones, but it is a very mixed bag and we are very early adopters. Expect it to change, and expect our Pioneers to be obsolete (in this regard) very soon.

offtohavasu

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the wire problem being as big as a nuisance as being described. When using AA, you know the phone is going to be pulling some amps out of that battery, especially using wifi-direct.. I rather plug it in and allow the phone to be charged, vs. getting out and having a dead battery, or heavily drained battery.

More apps? You bet there will be more. I haven't played with Pandora yet, are you referring to Pandora on the phone, or the Pandora app on the radio not working with AA?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed