Using an Old Cell Phone as an Android Auto Device?

rafaperotto

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I tried to find something about it, but ir really seems the is is not on the way yet.

What do you think if it was possible to install the Android Auto app in an old cell phone (or tablet), already attached into the car pannel, and hard-wired to the car radio and battery power, instead of nedd to buy an expensive device to install in the car? The old cell phone already has the most important, that is the bluetooth connection.

Someone heard something similar to that? It can be possible? Or, at least, do you thing it is a good idea to be implemented?

(thinking on this kind of system + a QI charger into the car, than you can simpy put you cellphone over the charger and let it connect to the Auto, seems really useful)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Many have done this (or a similar thing) with tablets. I still don't get the whole Android Auto thing, especially such an expensive trend, when you can just hook up a 200USD tablet to your dashboard and be done with it. There's even a guy who made a 3D-printed case for his old Nexus and embedded it into his dashboard so it looks like an actual part of the car, not just a tablet on a cradle.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on a HeadUnit app for tablets. I just released a very alpha first release on XDA yesterday.

Hard work because Google is keeping the specs secret, so it has to be painstakingly reverse engineered.

MANY people would like a standalone mode that only needs one device. I'm keeping my eye on that idea, but it seems to have more technical challenges and would likely require rooting.

There are many reasons for the way Android Auto is designed instead of just running a tablet mounted in the car.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Care to expand on a few of those reasons? I'm really curious, I mean, I haven't really delved that much into the whole Auto thing, but the overall idea doesn't seem worth the 1k+ USD that it sells for!

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Care to expand on a few of those reasons?
In a word... liability. If Google wants the OEMs to all get on board (and they do), they need to demonstrate Android Auto provides a more efficient and less distracting (safer) method of integrating the driver's smartphone into the vehicle. While I am not happy with the current limitations, I hope (and believe to a certain degree) that it will become more useful in the future (much like Android Wear has).

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's almost all about distraction reduction.

Google MUST convince regulators that no law shall be passed banning Android Auto.

Google also wants to avoid liability/lawsuits and bad press. Right now Google, Apple and the automakers are arguing over liability splitting. Auto parts makers must accept partial liability for lawsuits against the automakers; that's part of the standard auto industry deal. Google and Apple want no liability.

Note that Google will not allow AA compatible apps on Play until after Google approves them for not being distracting. This is the first time ever that Google is insisting on pre-approving apps. They don't do that with Android/Google TV or Android Wear because people rarely die looking at their watches or sitting and watching TV (by distraction anyway).

The US is the land of multi-million dollar lawsuits. Many of the recent Alps crash victims families are trying to sue in the US for this reason.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, I think AA has been the most distraction-free UX I've used in a car. For sure it's better than that horrid UX that Pioneer ships. :-/

gasnets

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
since I cant get my G4 to work with android auto. I use my old inactive S4. I use my G4 as a hotspot with my s4 on wifi. Google maps works great as does accessing music on the s4. Only problem is Bluetooth connects to s4 only. So phone calling over Bluetooth not possible. On the plus side I have full use of my G4

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, I think AA has been the most distraction-free UX I've used in a car. For sure it's better than that horrid UX that Pioneer ships. :-/

For the most part.
Google Maps, the dialer, and the "Home" screen which is not unlike Google Now are great.

With regards to music and audio apps, Google's commitment to "lack of distraction" severely reduces functionality to the point it's dissuaded me from ever making my phone my primary hub for music and other multimedia.

I might be one of the few that doesn't mind Pioneer's UX. It actually integrates well with Android Auto (with the "MODE" button).

I have two major issues with it:
1) labelling - the button that gives you all of your sources/inputs is labelled "AV", for example. And when using a source like iPod or a CD, the "Time" label to go from the controls for repeat, etc. back to the main control screen... it's kind of confusing, to say the least.

2) on the main screen, the icons/buttons seem strewn all about like a phone that's customized. I think they could actually learn a little more from (cough) Apple or QNX as implemented in systems like Chrysler's UConnect as far as how to present options to the user.

However, their "in function" screens are quite good. Their iPod control is the absolute best among any head unit I've ever used, including OEM usage. There is only one thing I dislike, and that's their A-Z search (totally not safe for driving), but their scroll speed kind of cancels that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair