Need some help with VZW S4 and Pioneer 4100NEX Android Auto

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I am going to get the G4 or nexus 6. Change my mind several times a day. Droid turbo keeps creeping in as a possibility too. If it is compatible with AA after lollipop, may move to the top of the list
Wowoooooow. I got frustrated and pulled my head unit out. Plugged in the Samsung s6 charging cable instead of the pioneer one. Walla, android auto works perfect...... I'm going to try the s4 cable and phone now. If it works, I'm returning the s6.

Can't effing believe it...... it's a pioneer bought usb cable that comes with the android connectivity kit. Who would have thought it would be the issue.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Confirmed. Plugged in s4 and s4 samsung cable. Got the red screen saying device not compatible. Next step updating play services.

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
wow! you're kidding! it was the cable?

If the S4 works with a different cable, please let me know.
I am on google play services 7.5.71 and i get the red screen.

Please let me know if a different cable fixes things!
thanks

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
wow! you're kidding! it was the cable?

If the S4 works with a different cable, please let me know.
I am on google play services 7.5.71 and i get the red screen.

Please let me know if a different cable fixes things!
thanks
I updated to that version and still doesn't work. The s4 cable works for the s6 though so I'm keeping it installed lol.

I was really crossing my fingers so I could return this phone.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Im actually thinking of waiting until they fix the s4 or at least find a root method that works with it and returning the s6.

Its an amazing phone and android auto works great, its mirror link capable, crazy fast and the camera is phenomenal. But im not down to lose my unlimited plan now that im streaming pandora all the time, and right now you cant even play pandora while in android auto mode.

Think im going to get my money back and hold out for awhile. Just use the navigation through bluetooth i guess......

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
new phones are stressful.

i change my mind by the minute. if S4 gets the fix for auto, will be easier to wait for the new moto x or one of the new rumored nexus phones

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
new phones are stressful.

i change my mind by the minute. if S4 gets the fix for auto, will be easier to wait for the new moto x or one of the new rumored nexus phones
I returned the phone. Need the cash lol. If I find a note 3 for cheap I might get that but for now I will wait until the s4 is fixed.

Wasn't worth the 800 bucks for GPS on the head unit. Will have to get by with voice guidance for now.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
And suddenly, today, it works with my GS4... Well, mostly. Microphone and reading messages does not seem to work.

Really? what did you do differently? I plugged it in again last night and tried it but got the red screen. Did something update?

Regarding the message reading, i rana cross a setting in google now that you might have to enable to read incoming sms messages. Let me see if i can find it again....

I set myheadunit to bluetooth only so i can charge the phone without it starting AA.

cspot

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
And suddenly, today, it works with my GS4... Well, mostly. Microphone and reading messages does not seem to work.

Thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for a new gps before I tried again. I plugged my s4 in this evening and had some basic success. At first nothing was happening, bit it looked like my phone might have pushed something to my HU. The HU display started to ghost and then the HU restarted. After that Android Auto setup started.

I couldn't get voice search to work until I enabled usb debugging on my phone under the system developer options menu. That got voice search working and seemed to make my phone and my radio go into Android Auto mode much quicker.

I still haven't figured out how to get other audio options beside Google play.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
There aren't any other audio options except Google play lol. That's why I didn't care for it. Supposedly pandora will work eventually. When I was using it I just used the radio playing I'm the background.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Wooooooooow just used AA the whole way home.

Didn't do usb debugging, took about 30 seconds for it to turn on. Everything works perfect, mic and texting and reading text messages were perfect.

I didn't do anything differently but I am using the stock Google play sevices. Not the updated one. Yesterday I uninstalled all updates on it and then updated through play store. Not the online version.

Suggest trying that to see if mic works.

Glad I returned that s6! Need to get spotify and I might be golden.

cspot

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
How do i do the debugging thing?

All of my options worked (well, Spotify and stitcher. Didn't try anything else)

Settings I recall correctly;

Settings->more->about phone;
Tap kernel version several times until message appears telling you developer mode is unlocked.

One menu up there should now exist "developer options."

I have "tunein pro" installed from the Amazon market place and beyond pod, which should both be "Auto" compatible, bit I can't get them running.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante