Need some help with VZW S4 and Pioneer 4100NEX Android Auto

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a mic button on my wheel but I'm going to research it to see if I can make my mode button work for it.

No didn't do anything for it to read the texts. When someone texted me I did have to open it by pushing it on the screen but then it read it out loud. Nothing to read on the screen

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Man. I hope I can make that work!

Will try in the morning
Oh make sure your volume is up! Default is super low I thought it wasn't working. Turn up the regular volume and on the right side of the screen is says "alerts" volume. I had to turn mine up to around 30 and head unit volume around 11.

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't uninstall updates. Option is "grayed out"

Wooooooooow just used AA the whole way home.

Didn't do usb debugging, took about 30 seconds for it to turn on. Everything works perfect, mic and texting and reading text messages were perfect.

I didn't do anything differently but I am using the stock Google play sevices. Not the updated one. Yesterday I uninstalled all updates on it and then updated through play store. Not the online version.

Suggest trying that to see if mic works.

Glad I returned that s6! Need to get spotify and I might be golden.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Google play services 7.5.71

A side loaded version that was linked in this topic earlier
Phone administration look like this?
7f38a328ca76e13b52e2e23cd8295d14.jpg

cspot

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For rolling back 'Google Play Services', I think Chomorro is correct in saying that the Android Device Manager in Security Administrative needs to be disabled before you can remove the apk.

I did turned off USB debugging this morning and my microphone still works. That must mean that my microphone starting to work when I enabled that option is just coincidental. I will say though that my S4 almost instantly goes into AA mode when USB debugging is enabled vs the eternity, I'm impatient, it takes when it is disabled. I'm going to guess ~45sec to 90 secs with USB debugging disabled. I could be wrong.

So I tried a couple of things before I got my speech recognition to work. I don't know what did it, but again Chomorro may be onto something with which app is currently the "default app."

Some of the things I did before speech recognition started working are the following. I went into 'Application manager' and cleared defaults for 'Android Auto' and 'S Voice.' Then I connected my phone to the radio and checked for voice recognition.

I also enabled 'hands free mode' and try connecting my phone to the radio. I then disabled 'hands free mode' and connected my phone to the radio. I may have also gone back into 'Application Manager' and cleared defaults on those two previously mentioned apps again.

Then I enabled 'USB debugging' in the 'developer options' menu and chose 'Forget All cars' in the 'Android Auto' app. Between some of these steps when I plugged my phone in to the HU, my phone and my HU would present me with some of the setup and TOS screens you get when you first pair the two devices. It definitely presented them to me on the attempt that was successful in getting my microphone/speech recognition to work.

I hope something in there is helpful.

On the topic of media apps, I didn't have the AA compatible version of 'Beyond Pod' or 'TuneIn Radio' installed. I signed up for the beta testing version of Beyond Pod last night and it worked well this morning. My phone gets a little toasty, though.

cspot

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
By the way, I am using GPS 7.5.71.

Also of note is that there is an AA developer mode and menu.
I can't post links yet, but if you search for "Android Auto Has A Developer Mode, And Here's How To Enable It" you should find a howto on the Android Police website.

With that enabled and 'Application Mode' set to "Developer", you can launch the Setup/TOS screen on the HU by touching the last icon on the bottom right and selecting something to the effect of "More Android Auto Apps." You should now see a column of apps. Some of the names are taken from the system level so it isn't real easy to tell what they all do. One locked up my HU until I unplugged my phone, but everything was okay after that.

Last edited:

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Wow good info!

Is there a way to program the voice button to a steering wheel button with the aswc1 programmable controller?

I want to disable my mode button and use it. I can't figure out if AA corresponds to to certain button.

cspot

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow good info!

Is there a way to program the voice button to a steering wheel button with the aswc1 programmable controller?

I want to disable my mode button and use it. I can't figure out if AA corresponds to to certain button.

I think so. I believe I programmed mine for 'Hook Off' on long push. Either that or 'PTT', but I'm pretty sure it is the former.
You should look for 34201.pdf, which can be found on Axxess' website. That is the aswc 1 controller install booklet. I think the info you want is going to be on pages 10-11 and 14-15.

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
i still have nothing. i uninstalled and reinstalled the app. went back through the set up. still doesn't work

i can push the microphone button for as long as i want and it never beeps to tell me google is listening.
when i receive a text or kik, the notification has a speaker icon, but it does nothing when pushed,

cspot

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
i still have nothing. i uninstalled and reinstalled the app. went back through the set up. still doesn't work

i can push the microphone button for as long as i want and it never beeps to tell me google is listening.
when i receive a text or kik, the notification has a speaker icon, but it does nothing when pushed,

I also 'cleared defaults' for the "Google App" as well at some point. It was the app handling my voice dialing for my HU. That would probably have happened around the time I did the whole "S Voice" enabling. I believe I remember getting the setup screens when I had "hands free mode" enabled with the "S Voice" app running, while I plugged it into the HU. That step by itself definitely didn't fix my voice recognition problem, but it may have gotten my phone to change into a different state so that later steps worked. After that I cleared defaults again, closed "S Voice" and disabled 'hands free mode.'

I don't have much more information I'm afraid.