Need some help with VZW S4 and Pioneer 4100NEX Android Auto

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been pulling my hair out with this whole thing lol. I bought a 4100NEX installed it with parking brake bypass, ASWC1 Steering controls, Reverse camera, sub and amp. Took an entire weekend to do it and finally got everything working and my head unit started throwing an "Amp Error" so i had to return the unit and buy another one. FINALLY have a working head unit for the past few days with no issues.

But cannot connect my phone to use appradio or android auto, called pioneer and they said my phone is not compatible and im out of luck.................

The whole reason i bought this unit as to connect to my phone!!! SO i need help lol. I have pretty much given up on appradio unchained since i dont want to root my phone just yet. Regular appradio will not work and pioneer wont help me.

I have Lollipop version 5.01 Verizon S4
Newest Android Auto app from the app store
correct cables to the head unit. Version 1.00 on the head unit, (there is 1.03 update but i tried that on the original headunit and it didnt work either)

Basically i connect by bluetooth, turn headunit settings to "other" "USB", then connect my phone and open the app on the phone. The headunit "Apps" button never recognizes.....

Whats the connection process to get this to work??

EDIT: as of today 5-30-15 it is WORKING with AA with the new Google Play services update in the play store version 7.5.71

Last edited:

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
i just got the same set up (Pioneer 4100NEX and Galaxy s4) and when i try to launch it, the stereo says that the device is not compatible. i am not sure what to do next????

any help?

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
i just got the same set up (Pioneer 4100NEX and Galaxy s4) and when i try to launch it, the stereo says that the device is not compatible. i am not sure what to do next????

any help?
I can't even get to that part. Can you post up up your process?

And for your issue Google s5 and device not compatible. I read a fix somewhere.

Arik74

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

any help?

I had the same issue, kept saying "device not compatible" I had my friend plug his Iphone in and that worked instantly. Turns out the installer needed to hook up a 2nd usb wire. USB 1 (which is probably what you're trying to plug your phone into) is only for Apple products and firmware updates. Usb 2 is for Android products. You should have 2 usb wires coming out of the radio!

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Google AA has a blacklist of known incompatible phones.

I think that all you can do is wait for Google and/or Samsung to put out updates.

Hypothetically a rooted device may be able to identify the phone as a compatible device, and AA might or might now work partly....

offtohavasu

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think it's a Verizon thing. They're having issues with the Verizon S5 as well. I think when they get their hands on the final version of Android from Samsung, they're doing something that's jacking up the whole process.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm starting to think it's a Verizon thing. They're having issues with the Verizon S5 as well. I think when they get their hands on the final version of Android from Samsung, they're doing something that's jacking up the whole process.
I read somewhere to wipe cache and restore to factory settings. FYI didn't work lol and I lost a lot of stuff I forgot to put on the SD card. I think it's a Verizon thing too.

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
i am due for an upgrade in the next week or so. i am planning on getting the LG G4. if i go at it with a fresh phone, it should work, right?

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
i am due for an upgrade in the next week or so. i am planning on getting the LG G4. if i go at it with a fresh phone, it should work, right?
Thats what i was hoping, but there is no definitive list of which phones and carriers have been working. I have an upgrade as well so i was thinking of getting the S6 or the note 4 but i cant find if anyone specifically with verizon got these phones to work........... and the note 5 comes out in a few months too lol

ph0nedawg

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Use USB2 - USB 1 is for iphone
Try different USB cables. Try the one that came with your phone
Try using the correct smartphone settings in your head unit to support android auto.
If all works, you will end up getting a red screen saying your phone is not supported

Google is working with Samsung to fix this - https://support.google.com/androidauto/?hl=en#6200174
As soon as it is fixed, one of the next Google Play Services updates should fix this issue. Better to wait than to change phones as some other phones have the same issue.

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I am in USB2
Using a cable purchased from Crutchfield for this purpose
I think the smart phone settings are correct.
I do get that message

The link mentions S4s on AT&T. nothing about verizon. that is the source of the confusion.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Do you at least get the Red Screen of Doom?

I am on a VZW S5, Android 5.0L, latest version of Google Play Services and Android Auto, using an 8100NEX, with Firmware 1.03.

I'm using a microUSB cable I actually got at the Verizon store for this operation: Cable - 3FT Micro USB data cable - Verizon Wireless

In Smartphone Settings, I have it set to Others > USB2 > Android Auto.

When I plug in my phone, there's a bit of a delay, but I eventually get RSoD, telling me Android Auto is "working", I just can't use it on my phone (thanks Verizon/Samsung).

ph0nedawg

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
The new GPS enables AA use with GS4.

But then, I use CM12.1 and I ran into the dreaded DPI issue which produces huge overlayed text rendering the head unit touchscreen unusable.

Try the new GPS and see if your ROM has the same issue. It might just be my ROM - Read this thread for more info

Other phones with stock ROMs that had that the DPI issues with AA got fixed in the recent versions of AA app.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
The new GPS enables AA use with GS4.

But then, I use CM12.1 and I ran into the dreaded DPI issue which produces huge overlayed text rendering the head unit touchscreen unusable.

Try the new GPS and see if your ROM has the same issue. It might just be my ROM - Read this thread for more info

Other phones with stock ROMs that had that the DPI issues with AA got fixed in the recent versions of AA app.
There is no root out yet for Verizon s4 on 5.0.1 I have been searching for days.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith