Nexus 5 issues connecting to Android Auto, what am I doing wrong?

girgense

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 issues connecting to Android Auto

Guys I'm losing my mind here.

I followed the instructions from the "Set up Android Auto" support site exactly. My Nexus 5 is running Lollipop 5.1 and has a data plan. It is connected via USB to my 2015 Sonata, which I just waited for 2 hours to have Android Auto installed. The Android Auto app is on my phone but when I opened it there were no Terms and Conditions to agree to. The Android Auto button on my car is grayed out and tapping on it does nothing. I've tried 3 different USBs because I read in other forums that some cords don't work. No one at the dealership knew anything about Android Auto. There is no live support yet, so we can't speak to someone from Google for help.

What am I doing wrong?

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 issues connecting to Android Auto

I have never heard or read about the symbol greying out.
First, I would check if the connection works properly. Maybe try to turn off Android Auto on your head unit and see if you have connection by play some mp3 files of your phone (like a USB drive).
Also did you check that it's plugged in at USB2? (this is needed for Android Auto - although I assume that's correct because you can see the Android Auto logo)
Another thing: Do you have bluetooth turned on and did you establish a proper bluetooth connection to the head unit? (Android Auto needs a blueetooth connection to work)

These are my first thoughts - maybe it helps.

Atticus7

May 31, 2015
Visit site

I am having the exact same problem. The dealer said maybe that the Nevius 5 isn't compatible, but I've read an article suggesting that it is when running lollipop. If you find the answer is appreciate your input.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

I am having the exact same problem. The dealer said maybe that the Nevius 5 isn't compatible, but I've read an article suggesting that it is when running lollipop. If you find the answer is appreciate your input.

Nexus running stock Lollipop+ is compatible almost by definition, unless Google says otherwise (like for un-updated Verizon variants for example).

Don't trust ANYTHING you hear at a car dealership. That said, I can empathize that they don't keep up on the latest in tech, and that there are several very popular devices that are officially incompatible, and many more that just don't work or have strange problems that aren't specifically on Googles good or bad lists.

manjo

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

I have issues with my Nexus 5 and AVIC-8100NEX. When I connect my phone and run the setup, I see an Android Auto icon. When I click on it (or press the mode button) I see the following message: "Android Auto cannot connect right now. When it is safe to do so, please check your Android phone."

Pioneer tech support tells me that it could be one of two things. 1) My android phone is not supported, but I have a Nexus-5 running 5.1.1 and my google play services version is (7.5.x) higher than the required 7.3. 2) My carrier (T-Mobile - "the uncarrier") does not support Android Auto in my area (central Texas).

Both these possibilities I find it very hard to believe. Because when I connect my phone to the headunit, it initiates download, install and setup of android auto. But fails to function.

BTW I have the parking brake connected legally on the headunit, I had the parking brake depressed and phone placed on the center console when I do the setup and connection.

Any help really appreciated.

mikereidis

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

BTW I have the parking brake connected legally on the headunit, I had the parking brake depressed and phone placed on the center console when I do the setup and connection.

Any help really appreciated.

Did you install it or did a shop do it ?

You can try the triple: parking brake fully on, brake pedal depressed and gear in park or neutral if manual.

Try in accessory mode if engine running mode doesn't work.

I just grounded the green wire on my 4100-NEX and it works fine. Mine is for testing and not in a car.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Did you install it or did a shop do it ?

You can try the triple: parking brake fully on, brake pedal depressed and gear in park or neutral if manual.

Try in accessory mode if engine running mode doesn't work.

I just grounded the green wire on my 4100-NEX and it works fine. Mine is for testing and not in a car.

Another reason why I think Google needs to scrap the requirement that the car be "parked" to set things up. I get it from a liability/safety viewpoint, but from a user experience it is way too inconvenient and too difficult to troubleshoot. Some more insight into how this works would be nice. I don't think Apple users have to go through this nonsense... SMH.

On another note, all users having this issue, can you list the vitals?
Exact versions of:
Android L
Google Play Services
Android Auto app
Google app
Google Maps app
Google Play Music app

manjo

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site

Finally got it to work ... here is the long story.

Hardware: AVIC-8100NEX, Ford Expedition XLT, Metra XSVI-5520-NAV harness, Clarion CCAUSB 2.0 pass through connected to USB port 2. FriEQ microUSB cable. No Hardware or software bypass.
Phone: Nexus5, android 5.1.1, Google Play Service 7.5.71, T-mobile, located in CTX area.

Here is what I had on my phone. I had 3 accounts - work, school and personal. My phone was encrypted and I had pattern lock to unlock. I booted into recovery, formatted cache, wiped data, and setup my phone as a new phone and did not encrypt the phone, and with no lock set. I set GPS to use "device only" instead of "high accuracy". I did the updates that google suggested after a cache and data wipe and re-setup. As a result Google Play services was updated to 7.5.71, maps, google and other apps. I signed in with my personal gmail, did not setup my work or school account.

Set up bluetooth connection between phone and head unit. Put the truck in park, depressed my parking brake, held the foot brake pedal down and connected the phone to USB cable. It installed Android Auto, and took me through the setup and the headunit showed me the Android screen. It was really exciting to see it working!

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

Finally got it to work ... here is the long story.

Hardware: AVIC-8100NEX, Ford Expedition XLT, Metra XSVI-5520-NAV harness, Clarion CCAUSB 2.0 pass through connected to USB port 2. FriEQ microUSB cable. No Hardware or software bypass.
Phone: Nexus5, android 5.1.1, Google Play Service 7.5.71, T-mobile, located in CTX area.

Here is what I had on my phone. I had 3 accounts - work, school and personal. My phone was encrypted and I had pattern lock to unlock. I booted into recovery, formatted cache, wiped data, and setup my phone as a new phone and did not encrypt the phone, and with no lock set. I set GPS to use "device only" instead of "high accuracy". I did the updates that google suggested after a cache and data wipe and re-setup. As a result Google Play services was updated to 7.5.71, maps, google and other apps. I signed in with my personal gmail, did not setup my work or school account.

Set up bluetooth connection between phone and head unit. Put the truck in park, depressed my parking brake, held the foot brake pedal down and connected the phone to USB cable. It installed Android Auto, and took me through the setup and the headunit showed me the Android screen. It was really exciting to see it working!

Great news! We are all getting our phones to work!

canvasCanvas

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Please allow me to make it even more clear to anyone with the "Android Auto will resume when your car's parked" issue:

This is not a bug made by Google, the smartphone manufacturer, or the head unit manufacturer.

Android Auto will not allow you to complete the setup on a bypassed head unit. You have to keep the normal wiring configuration in order to finish the setup.

If your head unit allows you to watch video while driving (no "caution" screen displayed), then it should be a bypassed one. Some car audio installer may do the bypass without telling their customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca