Android Auto Crashes every 10-15 minutes

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, I pulled out the head unit and replaced the USB cable. The USB port on the unit has a lot of play in it. The cable I got from Monoprice is supposed to make a more secure connection, but we'll see how it goes. No lockups yet. I'll keep you posted.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Is it the USB cable causing it? I was crashing a lot on my s4. Then it went away for a month. Now it freezes on start up everytime......

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Not sure yet. It still hasn't locked up on me since I changed the cable. I'm getting ready to go on a longer trip today and I'll post the result later.

Posted via the Android Central App

biotron2000

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Eureka! Looks like the USB cable was the culprit all along. Two hour road trip with no issues at all!

Mptrh336

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I tried USB debugging, no help at all.

I was having AA crash repetitively in my car at random intervals and with multiple phones. I have a Nexus 6, had a one plus and an LG G3. All had issues with crashing but the OPO was definitely the worst of the bunch. It would also give the occasional "android auto is unavailable right now, please check your phone" error.

I discovered after some real frustration and almost giving up that my problem was a faulty USB cable. It may be a pain to do, but I haven't had a single crash since switching out my cable. Seriously. Not one. Give it a try. You've got nothing to lose.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Confirmed! I got rid of the pioneer cable and went Samsung charging cable straight to the head unit. AA popped up right away and didn't freeze. Only tested it for a few min but I know this was the problem. It wouldn't even start up before. I'm just going to toss the pioneer cable.

RK_BB

Trusted Member
Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Got the KENWOOD DDX9902S using a T Mobile Note 3. The thing keeps crashing no matter what I do! The Head Unit has a USB hard wired into it with the end being female running into the glove compartment so there is no way to replace the cable; I am connecting with high grade USB 2.0 (micro) as well USB 3.0. It's a hit or miss.....

Called KENWOOD; they have no suggestions other than replacing the unit or trying a different phone which I will.

I have a feeling it must be something to do with the phone rather than the device.

Anyone with similar experience?

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I updated to the most recent Android Auto app version recently and - keeping my fingers crossed - it seems like that the crashes are gone. At least I haven't had any crashes lately. I have to admit that I haven't been driving much lately though.

Anyway, try to update to the Android Auto app.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Mine started crashing after 10 minutes of use even with the original Samsung cable. I think it's my phone...... crashes using Spotify or just GPS

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday it crashed on me half way for the first time since the update. I started to play music via spotify and it started playing via my phones speakers. Grrrrr...
I initiated the crash by pressing several buttons on the display until it frooze on me. Then I unplugged and replugged my phone again (all during driving - so much for safety google!!!!!) and everything worked except the music.

Only solution was to restart my phone.

So it seems like there was an improvement but it's still not perfectly working :(

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday it crashed on me half way for the first time since the update. I started to play music via spotify and it started playing via my phones speakers. Grrrrr...
I initiated the crash by pressing several buttons on the display until it frooze on me. Then I unplugged and replugged my phone again (all during driving - so much for safety google!!!!!) and everything worked except the music.

Only solution was to restart my phone.

So it seems like there was an improvement but it's still not perfectly working :(
What phone?

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Luckily mine hasn't crashed in along time. I didn't do anything different. Could have been one of the updates awhile back. Not sure.

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I have to say - for me the crashes are gone so far. For a long time I haven't had crashes anymore. I assume they have improved the software. Thumbs up, Google.

(haven't changed a thing on the hardware or wiring and I know that I am using a rather poor, not proper shielded USB cable internally)

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I figure out that android auto doesn't update properly on my s4. Twice it has been fully updated in the app store but when I Uninstall and install again I get new features.

For example. I updated a few weeks ago. Today my text feature was not working so I decided to uninstall and install again. All of a sudden I now have Pandora as a music option and everything works perfect again..... same app version I had before. So from now on when there is an update I'm uninstalling first.

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Since I am from Europe/Austria which is not officially supported I have to update via APK mirror download sites anyways. Maybe that's a solution for you too.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Got the KENWOOD DDX9902S using a T Mobile Note 3. The thing keeps crashing no matter what I do! The Head Unit has a USB hard wired into it with the end being female running into the glove compartment so there is no way to replace the cable; I am connecting with high grade USB 2.0 (micro) as well USB 3.0. It's a hit or miss.....

Called KENWOOD; they have no suggestions other than replacing the unit or trying a different phone which I will.

I have a feeling it must be something to do with the phone rather than the device.

Anyone with similar experience?

I am having this issue with my note 5.