texts not reading, mic icon not working

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, i have my AA running on a galxy s4. i am happy with it and enjoying it, but there are two issues that are infuriating!

one: It does not read my text messages (or kik messages).
two: the mic icon in the upper right does not do anything. i can do nothing voice activated.

any suggestions or tips?

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same exact issues with a Verizon S5. What I am able to use is pretty cool, but those two things need to work to really make this a keeper. There are users here who have Verizon S4s and S5s working here....

It sounds like there are some permissions or something not updated properly.
I have Google Play Services 7.5.71 (1955121-438) and Android Auto version 1.1.069961 (1897800-release).

The versions of the other Google apps I am currently using are as follows:
Google App: 4.6.10.19.arm
Google Maps: 9.9.0
Google Play Music: 5.9.1854R.1904527
Hangouts: 3.1.89134953

jpcsoccer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
curious... did you get an automatic update on GPS? or did you download the one from a mirror site that was linked to in another forum here? i used the one from here and sideloaded it. wondering if that is the issue?

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
curious... did you get an automatic update on GPS? or did you download the one from a mirror site that was linked to in another forum here? i used the one from here and sideloaded it. wondering if that is the issue?

I originally sideloaded it, but I went back and uninstalled all the updates and reinstalled them after the Google Play store prompted me to do so.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
man.... this shouldn't be so hard!

I resolved this by updating the security policy:

Go into "About Phone" from Settings.
Check the following entry: SE For Android Status

If the date listed is less than May 11 2015, update it by going into Settings > Security > Security Policy Updates and "Check for updates".

Proceed to update security and go back into Android Auto in your vehicle afterward.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Additional note: for the texts not reading, I have found (and this may also be true of Samsung phones in general), that the notification access for Android Auto (and possibly Android Wear devices like Pebble) constantly gets reset when your phone is reset and must be manually re-checked. If this is not working for you, go into Settings > Sound and Notification > Notification Access and make sure Android Auto (and any other device/app that needs it) is checked.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Good tip Dr. Claw!

And I see that this keeps getting disabled.

Before I plug in the phone for Android Auto, I make sure that Android Auto has access to notifications.

However, as soon as I remove it from the stereo, the setting is once again unchecked.

A lot of Samsung phone users (S4, S5, Note 4) are finding this behavior even outside of Android Auto while on Lollipop. Wonder if this is OS-level stuff.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781