Voice guidance volume issue on Pioneer nex

James Hauser

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got my avh-4100nex installed in my 2010 Camaro. Working great for the most part.

I am now trying out android auto with my Galaxy Note 4 connected. Also working very well. Even with my phone tucked under the dash, I seem to get a good gps lock and data speed. I can play music from my phone, and use navigation at the same time. It of course attenuates the music when googlenowgirl is giving me directions.

My issue is when I play music from another source on the radio. In my case, I have all my music on an SD card. With the music playing, I can still use android auto's navigation and it attenuates the other audio source while she gives me directions. The problem in this scenario is that the voice directions are uncomfortably loud. Not sure why her voice is so much louder with an audio source other than my phone, but it is. There is no setting I can find anywhere in android auto (either in the head unit or on my phone) to adjust voice prompt volume. There is a setting for it under the google maps app, but that doesn't have any effect on android auto.

Still waiting to here from pioneer, but does anyone here have any ideas?

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There is two things you can do to alleviate this.

1.) Turn the volume down when you're hearing the turn guidance. The radio keeps different levels for Android Auto and music.

2.) Go into settings and raise the relative level of the SD card source (note you can't do this for Radio as it is the reference level source).

James Hauser

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to raise the sd volume, because it is already about the same as radio level. And both are already too high as my car has a built in amp. My typical volume level is around 6 or 7.

It's just weird because the voice prompts are about the right volume if I don't have music coming from a different source.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Android Auto has a relative alert volume control (you'll see it on the right when you are adjusting volume in Android Auto). But I don't think it is applied across non Android Auto sources.

Boy, 6 or 7 doesn't give you much wiggle room. There is no input sensitivity controls on your amps?

James Hauser

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Oh, so that's what that alert thing on the right is. I wondered what that was for. I will try that and see if it helps.

It's the factory amp that came with the car. There are no settings on it. And unlike aftermarket amps, there are no rca inputs. It uses regular pigtail connectors. I am sure I could rewire it to use the low level outputs on the pioneer, but the sound quality is fine as is, so I don't want to mess with it.

btw, when I am playing music from usb/sd card, and a voice prompt from android auto starts, I cannot change the volume at all. Pressing volume up or down brings up the volume popup at the bottom of the screen, but it will not change until after the voice directions have finished.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It's the factory amp that came with the car. There are no settings on it. And unlike aftermarket amps, there are no rca inputs. It uses regular pigtail connectors. I am sure I could rewire it to use the low level outputs on the pioneer, but the sound quality is fine as is, so I don't want to mess with it.

It's up to you, but it sounds as though the speaker level output to your amp's input might be too high. My average listening level using the head unit amps connected directly to my speakers is 20-25.

btw, when I am playing music from usb/sd card, and a voice prompt from android auto starts, I cannot change the volume at all. Pressing volume up or down brings up the volume popup at the bottom of the screen, but it will not change until after the voice directions have finished.

Dunno if I have done this with Maps, but I have with something "what's the weather like today", and as it is telling me I can raise or lower the volume (and the volume popup indicates the level I am adjusting is Android Auto).

lamby2

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
There is a way to adjust the navigation volume
With navigation on press a volume up or down. A volume bar will appear at the bottom of the screen.
To the right of the volume bar is the alert tab touch the tab and the navigation volume menu will come
Up. My unit was on six I lowered it to the number two. If you put it on zero it will mute the Navigation

DrKrizzle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to raise the sd volume, because it is already about the same as radio level. And both are already too high as my car has a built in amp. My typical volume level is around 6 or 7.

It's just weird because the voice prompts are about the right volume if I don't have music coming from a different source.

My car (Dodge Durango) is fairly similar 14 is about as high as I can go when by myself. What I did to get a little more wiggle room is go the the equalizer and drop the profile all the way down so that the lowest values are at -12 dB - the profile is the same, but the output is lowered so you don't have quite as big of a jump each time you hit the volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo