Android Auto in Hyundai Sonata - waiting to plug in phone each start

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm finding that the timing of when you plug your phone into the car determines whether you are likely to actually get an Android Auto connection or not when you plug the phone in. After some experimenting it seems as though you have to wait until the phone and the car completely ends its initial Bluetooth connection and data exchange process, including updating the contacts.

In my use, if I plug in the phone prior to this process ending then I almost never get an Android Auto connection. This is really annoying because that initial process can take several minutes and I don't like waiting several minutes before I can leave and start a Google Navigation session. What I've found is that you can actually start a navigation session directly on your phone and then after you plug your phone in the route in progress will simply transfer to your car screen when the Android Auto connection is successful.

I've written a blog post that details this for those that are interested:

For What It's Worth: Connecting Android Auto in a 2015 Hyundai Sonata

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Hyundai, but my experience with the Pioneer is to not turn BT on in the phone at all. I just plug the phone in (make sure it is unlocked with screen on), and it works every time.

I also had a problem if I left the phone in the car (plugged in) and shut off the car. When I returned, it would often not connect when re-starting the car. The fix is to wakeup and unlock the phone before starting the car.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I use Android Auto in my Sonata all the time, and I've never had a problem connecting, regardless of when I plug in the phone. You might want to make sure you have the latest software in your car. Check myhyundai.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21