Why doesn't android auto connect to car navigation?

Sonata2015

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2015 sonata and am using a galaxy s5. I was under the impression that Google maps in android auto would automatically use hyundai's native GPS as it is more reliable than a cellular connection. Google maps doesn't pick up the cars native GPS. I have to manually turn on my location on my phone to be able to work google maps. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2015 sonata and am using a galaxy s5. I was under the impression that Google maps in android auto would automatically use hyundai's native GPS as it is more reliable than a cellular connection. Google maps doesn't pick up the cars native GPS. I have to manually turn on my location on my phone to be able to work google maps. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, it doesn't integrate with the Sonata's built in GPS. It's all done through the phone. You'll need to keep location services turned on.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't think your test proved what you think it did. Turning off Location will result in the Maps app not getting information from the Location Services API of Google's Play Services. Those Location Services uses something Google calls "Fused Location Provider" which will get the best location data it can from available sources: wifi, GPS or an Android Auto head unit.

ArsTechnica did a great in-depth article on how this works:
The phone's GPS powers down, and Android Auto uses the car's on-board GPS (when available), wheel speed, and compass sensors. This not only saves power on the phone, but it's much more accurate.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
That's weird. I thought it did as well. I could have sworn I read an article that said it used the cars navigation if it was equipped.

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't read the guys full post above me. That section he quoted was from the article i read.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech