Honda Accord 2016 and AA

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
No personal experience here, but you could always just go test drive one and try it out yourself. Just download the Android Auto app before you head over and take a USB cable with you.

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2016 accord and the AA is really good. The two split screens allows a lot of different combinations between the maps and audio functions of AA. If you have any specific questions. The only issue I have is that sometime AA does not launch when I plug my phone in. I use a Oneplus One on CM12 nightlies w/ AK kernel. Since I don't run anything near to "stock" software I can't attribute the issues to Honda. A phone reboot solves this.

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2016 accord and the AA is really good. The two split screens allows a lot of different combinations between the maps and audio functions of AA. If you have any specific questions. The only issue I have is that sometime AA does not launch when I plug my phone in. I use a Oneplus One on CM12 nightlies w/ AK kernel. Since I don't run anything near to "stock" software I can't attribute the issues to Honda. A phone reboot solves this.

I'm actually interested now you that mention it. In the Accord, what do you mean by split screen with AA? Does it just display the USB audio info on one screen and navigation on the other? Just wondering.

Also, I experience the same problem from time to time with my Android Auto setup (LG G4 with rooted stock and a Pioneer NEX-4100). Sometimes it will just refuse to connect to the car, say "Android Auto could not start", etc. I think it's more of a bug with AA than it is the phone you're using and I highly doubt it's the car.

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually interested now you that mention it. In the Accord, what do you mean by split screen with AA? Does it just display the USB audio info on one screen and navigation on the other? Just wondering.

Also, I experience the same problem from time to time with my Android Auto setup (LG G4 with rooted stock and a Pioneer NEX-4100). Sometimes it will just refuse to connect to the car, say "Android Auto could not start", etc. I think it's more of a bug with AA than it is the phone you're using and I highly doubt it's the car.

The accord has an upper and lower screen. The lower screen is a touch screen and works like any other AA interface. The upper screen is configurable. In one configuration, the screen has 3 areas. The top right has info like MPG and Range; the bottom has title/track information from whatever audio source - including AA audio sources; the top right usually has an image of a compass showing direction but if you are navigating w/ google maps it will tell you next turn info: arrow, distance countdown meter, street name.

here is an image I plucked from google images. You can see the 2 screens and the track info in the top screen. The compass is shown here but that part gets replaced with the next-turn arrow when navigating.

2016hondaaccordpreview-02.jpg

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The accord has an upper and lower screen. The lower screen is a touch screen and works like any other AA interface. The upper screen is configurable. In one configuration, the screen has 3 areas. The top right has info like MPG and Range; the bottom has title/track information from whatever audio source - including AA audio sources; the top right usually has an image of a compass showing direction but if you are navigating w/ google maps it will tell you next turn info: arrow, distance countdown meter, street name.

here is an image I plucked from google images. You can see the 2 screens and the track info in the top screen. The compass is shown here but that part gets replaced with the next-turn arrow when navigating.

View attachment 201420

Ah, very cool. Do you need to have the navigation system in the Accord for the directional info to show on the second screen? Or is AA able to pass that through even without it?

ndfan77

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 2016 Accord Touring and I expected Android Auto (AA) would be better (e.g. more useful) than I'm finding it so far.

The built-in (new to 2016) Garmin navigation seems superior to Google Maps via AA. (I've always felt that Garmin was the most superior navigation platform, but Google Maps has been a close second as a fallback, or when it wasn't worth the effort to pull the Garmin out of storage and mount it on the windshield.)

The new built-in Garmin navigation has most of the functionality of a high-end Garmin PND (traffic, trip planning routes, etc.). The Google Maps navigation in AA does not let you search on route, and doesn't let you save a trip with specific waypoints (yes, Google just re-added "search on route" back to Maps, but I can't see any way to access it through AA -- and this has me wondering what the actual relationship between Google Maps on the phone and AA really is). And, for some reason the Google Maps UI on AA doesn't seem as "slick" or appealing as Google Maps running directly on a phone.

So, of the three features AA brings to the table (Navigation, Phone, Audio). This one goes to the built-in Garmin.

For the Phone feature, I see little, if any advantage to use AA. Without AA the phone integration with the car still works fine over bluetooth. Honda's infotainment UI presents the phonebook over bluetooth just as well as Google does, and the phone over bluetooth actually works better. For some reason the audio in AA is VERY LOW for the phone (and also for navigation prompts). I've tried everything and can't get the call volume and navigation volume at suitable levels -- so AA is actually NOT preferred for phone use (and, for the other reasons previously mentioned, not for maps use either).

So what's left? Just audio/music. I'm not much of a music nut, so this category has a smaller weight with me. AA has the advantage of being configurable to use a compatible audio app on your phone. But, HondaLink over bluetooth has AHA which, while not quite as powerful as Tunein Pro, still has a lot of the same content. And, it's not that hard to play audio from the phone through Bluetooth or Aux input without all the restrictions imposed by AA. So I don't see music/audio through AA as much of a benefit.

So, all told, it seems AA needs a lot of improvement to be a substantial player -- particularly with navigation features, and phone and navigation audio. I also suspect Google will have to eventually be less restrictive with the Maps/navigation portion and not limit it to just Google Maps, or they'll run into antitrust / anti-competitive issues.

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The primary advantages for AA over the base honda entertainment to me are: the various AA audio apps, being able to dictate replies to texts, ease of using the navigation, and not having to pay extra for the navigation.

jmakaiju

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
My HTC M9 is not recognized when connected to my 2016 Accord. I have the App. Bluetooth connectivity is good. Neither the phone or car display recognize the phone when connected via usb

G_CSS

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I just got my 2016 Accord 4 days ago and tried to start enjoying the benefits of AA. I am using Samsung Galaxy S4 (upgraded to Android 5.0.1) with AA installed, however, the in vehicle system keeps on saying there is no device connected! I have checked the Android version installed in the car and found that it was 4.2.2. Is it the main reason that it does not recognize my S4 and, as a result, using AA is not possible?

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I assume you are plugging the phone into the USB under the radio and not in the armrest, correct? You also may need usb debugging turned on in your phone. My oneplus one running cm12.1 or cm13 automatically detects on my '16 Accord w/o any additional changes to the phone. I actually did a clean install this morning and had to pair everything to the car again.

Gigatek

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Any experience with Honda Accord 2016 and OP2? Mine is not working even with the USB Debug on. Do I need to change anything on the dev options?

I used the Type C cable and the converter and it keep saying that no device is detected

skootr

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
With my Nexus 6P the USB connection defaulted to 'charge only' on the phone but when I set it to MTP (transfer files) it connected right away.

Last edited:

Scott McCauley

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have also noticed that connecting AA on my Galaxy S5 to my Honda Accord is pretty hit-and-miss. When it does work, it takes several minutes to detect and connect.

I wish that the voice command button on the steering wheel would trigger Google Now on AA when connected. Does anybody know if that's somehow configurable through Accord's settings menus?

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have also noticed that connecting AA on my Galaxy S5 to my Honda Accord is pretty hit-and-miss. When it does work, it takes several minutes to detect and connect.

Does your S5 have an "installer mode" (like Verizon puts on its phones?) Enabling USB debugging is one way to get around that several minute wait. You also can manually switch the USB connection to MTP (which is what is required to connect to Android Auto)

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I wish that the voice command button on the steering wheel would trigger Google Now on AA when connected. Does anybody know if that's somehow configurable through Accord's settings menus?

hold down the voice command button (the one on the bottom) for 2 seconds and it will trigger google now on AA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel