2016 VW Golf Android Auto won't work with LG G4

rdlkgliders

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes I am on latest update on my second or third trip to the dealer they updated me to 0613 (actually 0245 on my unit) and I observed no noticeable difference in performance although at that time i had only owned the car for 2-3 weeks the car is now 6 weeks old. I hope to get the new MIB unit today.
Thanks for the bulletin

Last edited:

doug4253

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5X (Marshmallow) on T-mobile, and a 2016 VW. It only re-connects reliably if I follow these steps in order:
1. Unlock phone, and launch Android Auto.
2. Connect cable to VW.
3. Start up the car (hope and pray that car was shut down with "App Connect" on the screen).
4. When done driving, turn off the car with App Connect still showing.
5. Crack open the door, so that the display reminds me to take the phone. Then, I remove the phone from the cable.

I suppose that burning incense from a Shaman at just the right moment might help too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I am going to report the problem to my VW dealer tomorrow, too. Thanks to everyone for your help.

dgiaffe

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I got mine at the car dealer this afternoon. They asked to start off by purchasing VW's USB cable. It is freakin' 43$... They said they would update the Regional Case Manager, but I don't believe they got in touch with him during the time I was there. I'll have to purchase the cable if it works, but obviously won't get charged if it doesn't. I highly doubt it'll fix my issue, but I guess it's worth giving it a try. I also updated VWOA on my case, saying I was there but the dealer didn't seem to know how the RCM would get in contact with them. They didn't have the USB cable stock so they are ordering it tonight, should receive it Friday. I'll definitely be willing to pay the 43$ if it 100% work.. but I don't think it will. And even if it does, I'll fight for that 43$ first, as it is not written any where that we require the official VW cable. However, I believe it's more worth it than buying a Navigation pack lol.

It is quite upsetting that it looks like every dealer say something different. One is "we'll change your headunit", the other is "We are aware and working on an update", mine is "try our own cable". Hopefully in the end we'll at least all have the same solution.

Link to what I think they are ordering for me: 2016 Volkswagen. #5G0051763D: Digital Media Adapter Cables - Micro USB (Angled) or 2016 Volkswagen. #5G0051763C: Digital Media Adapter Cables - Micro USB (Straight)

I am very impressed by the Android community though. Love this mutual aid. We'll get this through, guys!

rdlkgliders

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
OK, So I got the new radio and found out that the latest update available is 0245 that 0613 does not apply to the non mqb chassis radios. I guess they are a little different. So the new radio connected but only after a few tries. I honestly just got home and have not even messed with it much. I am a little disheartened in finding out that the model I have does not seem to be getting the same support as the one in the mqb chassis.
I will follow up after I play with the new unit.

dgiaffe

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
The Regional Case Manager (RCM) called me today following up on my appointment. He said he did get in contact with my local dealer and will follow the case closely. He said he'd give me a call back Tuesday to give some time for the USB cable to come in. He says he is confident that it'll fix the issue... but I am not lol.

iamholam

May 7, 2015
Visit site
The Regional Case Manager (RCM) called me today following up on my appointment. He said he did get in contact with my local dealer and will follow the case closely. He said he'd give me a call back Tuesday to give some time for the USB cable to come in. He says he is confident that it'll fix the issue... but I am not lol.

I didn't get a vw cable but bought a new Anker braided cable off amazon which originally retailed for £20. Still made no difference.

(does go very nicely with the red stitching in my car though!)

lawguyman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Android Auto team emailed me to say that they are working with VW on an update that VW will push to address connection issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

doug4253

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I made progress with my Nexus 5X and 2016 VW GTI, yesterday. It is now connecting every time -- even when doing all of the things that previously made it fail to connect. This is good to see, after 10 weeks of wrestling with it.

It was kind of an unusual day, though. I went to the VW dealer and got my Infotainment software updated to 0613. (BTW, they would only do it, after I showed them the PDF of the service notice, from the link posted on this forum. My VW dealer claimed that there was no service notice, until I showed it to them.)

The unusual thing is that after the Infotainment SW update, it still took me at least 10 minutes and 8 or 9 different tries to re-connect Android Auto successfully. I did the usual things like re-booting the phone, clearing the Android Auto data, etc., and eventually it just worked from the usual brute force try-everything attempts.

Then, after all of the trouble, I called VW of America service (800-822-8987) to continue seeking help for the issue. While on hold, my Nexus 5X requested to update from Android 6.0 to Android 6.0.1, and I said "yes". Ever since then, it connects very easily.

So, I don't know if was fixed by the Infotainment SW update, or the Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 update. But I really believe it is connecting correctly now, without any special steps.

I happen to have an LG G4 (Android 5.1) available to me this weekend. I am going to do a factory reset on LG G4, and see if it shows the connection problem, or not, on my vehicle. I will post a brief description of what I find, in case it helps.

Good luck to all.

dgiaffe

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I made progress with my Nexus 5X and 2016 VW GTI, yesterday. It is now connecting every time -- even when doing all of the things that previously made it fail to connect. This is good to see, after 10 weeks of wrestling with it.

It was kind of an unusual day, though. I went to the VW dealer and got my Infotainment software updated to 0613. (BTW, they would only do it, after I showed them the PDF of the service notice, from the link posted on this forum. My VW dealer claimed that there was no service notice, until I showed it to them.)

The unusual thing is that after the Infotainment SW update, it still took me at least 10 minutes and 8 or 9 different tries to re-connect Android Auto successfully. I did the usual things like re-booting the phone, clearing the Android Auto data, etc., and eventually it just worked from the usual brute force try-everything attempts.

Then, after all of the trouble, I called VW of America service (800-822-8987) to continue seeking help for the issue. While on hold, my Nexus 5X requested to update from Android 6.0 to Android 6.0.1, and I said "yes". Ever since then, it connects very easily.

So, I don't know if was fixed by the Infotainment SW update, or the Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 update. But I really believe it is connecting correctly now, without any special steps.

I happen to have an LG G4 (Android 5.1) available to me this weekend. I am going to do a factory reset on LG G4, and see if it shows the connection problem, or not, on my vehicle. I will post a brief description of what I find, in case it helps.

Good luck to all.

Awesome, glad to hear about your progression! Really curious to see how the LG G4 you get will react. From what carrier is it? Let us know.

My VW dealer received the cable today. I stopped by during lunch time to test it out. Well no surprise there, it didn't work. I didn't let my car at the dealership or didn't wait more. I'll await the contact from the RCM on Tuesday and see what he wants me to do.

I also sent the following Tweet: https://twitter.com/Dgiaffe/status/695670018390929408 ... we'll see if I get a response.

rdlkgliders

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
It seems as though the Verizon G4's are having the most severe connection issues and often not connecting at all. Hopefully 6.0 will help although not sure how. Tmobile is rolling out 6.0 as we speak, I am anxious to get feedback on the the new ROM and AA. On a personal note my new MIB unit seems to be connecting although I have yet to challenge it with the known connection issues instead opting for my personal work around. GL to all and please continue to make noise so as to get a permanent resolve.

Esteban Astudillo

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for all your tips. I was also frustrated with this issue and it's finally working for me and I wanted to share my experience.

- First, my setup Tiguan 2016 and LG G4
- While still using KitKat it wouldn't work. I did manage to get it going twice, but only after annoyingly connecting and reconnecting the cable a million times (actually, less than 100, but you get the idea)
- Someone here mentioned that using Marshmallow it would work better so I waited. Last week finally my phone received the update (Rogers, Canada) and tried again and to my disappointment, it didn't make any difference. Same issues.
- Then I noticed someone here mentioned a special USB cable. I didn't get a chance to buy such magical cable, so I decided to try the original LG cable that came with the phone instead of the convenient short USB cable I was using and voilà!, it started working right away.
- Now, as soon as I connect the phone to the car, Android Auto is launched automatically and it's connecting 100% of the time.
- Someone here mentioned bluetooth. I always keep BT enabled. And in case it makes a difference, I also use Tasker to unlock the phone automatically when it connects to my car's BT signal.

That's it. Finally enjoying Android Auto, thanks to all the tips I saw here. Now I'm looking forward to the time we can do all this without cables...

doug4253

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I have an LG G4 from my work that I believe was purchased as an unlocked, open market phone. I put an AT&T SIM card in it, and started using it today.

In the morning, this phone was running Android 5.1. I tried to connect it to my 2016 VW GTI using Android Auto, and it failed.

Later in the morning, it prompted me to update the OS. I said "yes", and it updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

After the Marshmallow update, it is now connecting to the 2016 VW GTI with Android Auto, with no problems at all!

I don't know if this good turn of events will happen for others, as the LG G4 Marshmallow rollout continues, but I hope that it willl.

Best of luck, all.

NL_GaB

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I had the same issues with my lg g4.
I updated the android system by using the LG Bridge software instead of waiting on OTA.
After update to 6.0, i reconnect my phone to the car and it works perfectly....
Every time.

dgiaffe

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
The RCM contacted me again. I need to book an appointment next week and my dealer needs to open a Technical ticket with VW. Doubt it'll go somewhere, but I think it's worth going through all this for whoever that won't get the Android 6.0 update on their phone. I hope to get it from Verizon soon..

Tomerhd

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
just an update about my situation - my LG G4 purchased in Australia Optus branded, just had software update from 5.1 to 6.0 (I think its called Marshmallow) - ever since then its been working 100% every time with the care (and its also kind of cool too ;-)) - no need to start the car before or after, bluetooth all working very smoothly.
My recommendation for those of you with problems - upgrade the phone even if you need to root it.

Enjoy.

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
FYI, Google AA responded to my one star review on the Play Store asking for more information and leaving a link where I reported the car and phone I'm trying to use. The very short survey asked what issue I'm experiencing and I clicked the radio button for inconsistent connection or something like that. No text input field was provided for more details.
I'm trying to reduce my frustration with connecting, failing, and trying to reconnect and am mostly just using BT audio and Waze on my phone. Fortunately the phone sits at a good display position in the cubby opening in front of the shifter. But, of course, like many of us here, I have a compulsion to try to get stuff like this to work. I'm trying to chill out until there is an OS, AA or VW software update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez