BlackBerry Priv, Android Auto and 2016 VW don't play well together

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I am unable to connect my Priv to my VW Golf using Android Auto.

My 2016 Golf has the new MIB II "infotainment" system, which supports MirrorLink, Android Auto and Carplay. I have successfully connected an iPhone 5S using Carplay and a Samsung Galaxy S5 using Android Auto.

However, when I try to pair my Priv, the car tries to connect using MirrorLink rather than Android Auto and fails. The Android Auto app does not recognize the car connection, but the music files on the device can be played, so the USB connection is working.

Things I have tried so far:

- 5 different USB cables, including the one that worked with the Galaxy S5
- Resetting VW App-connect to factory settings
- Reinstalling Android Auto and rebooting the phone
- Ensuring all Blackberry and Google apps are up-to-date
- Changing the USB connection settings on the phone between MTP and PTP (MTP should be correct I believe)
- Enabling USB debugging mode (after enabling Developer options)
- Clearing Android Auto cache
- Changing theApp-connect connection type to Android Auto in the VW settings

Advice?

Last edited:

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
More then likely it's the same problem I had with the Verizon note 5. When you plug your phone into the USB cord. The phone is trying to install something like it would if you were to plug it into a computer. Maybe some type of BB software. You will have to figure out exactly what's stopping the handshake between the phone and the car. Get a package disabler and try to disable certain things until you can find the cause. That's what I had to do with my Verizon note 5. Now it connects every time where as I could never get it to do anything when I plugged it in.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9446079)

May 10, 2015
Visit site
This is really annoying. There should be a testing routine for every OEM and carrier where they test stuff including AA.

However, this is why I buy Nexus only although it's not always the best hardware.

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
More then likely it's the same problem I had with the Verizon note 5. When you plug your phone into the USB cord. The phone is trying to install something like it would if you were to plug it into a computer. Maybe some type of BB software. You will have to figure out exactly what's stopping the handshake between the phone and the car. Get a package disabler and try to disable certain things until you can find the cause. That's what I had to do with my Verizon note 5. Now it connects every time where as I could never get it to do anything when I plugged it in.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks for the post. BlackBerry Services is a likely culprit, but I don't know if I can disable it using the built-in app manager (it says I will lost the stored data) and easily re-enable it later.

The package disablers appear to require the device to be rooted, and I don't think this has happened yet for the Priv.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, I finally tested the Priv this morning on my Pioneer 4100. Works just fine (once I stopped using a charge-only cable, that is). Even tried the various USB connection methods, and MTP and Camera worked just fine.

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, I finally tested the Priv this morning on my Pioneer 4100. Works just fine (once I stopped using a charge-only cable, that is). Even tried the various USB connection methods, and MTP and Camera worked just fine.
That is good to hear. Do you have the BlackBerry Exfat App installed by any chance? Just wondering if that might be causing a problem, but won't be able to test for a few days.

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Now up to Tier 3 technical support with the very excellent BlackBerry support team. I have uploaded a bug report to them and they are about to start working with Volkswagen on this.

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I have been told by BlackBerry that this is a VW issue. They claim that the reason the Priv is not connecting is that it is not on the "allowed" list in the VW MIB II headunit, and that the headunit firmware needs to be updated.

Does this seem correct? Is it likely that VW designed a system that requires firmware updates every time a new Android phone is introduced?

Do I point out the irony that the headunit firmware is designed by QNX?

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
For those interested, I have stayed in touch with Tier 3 technical support. No real progress to this point, but when I asked whether the fix will be coming from BlackBerry of VW I was told.

"It would either be from VW or BlackBerry, or a combination of both depending on what the fix will be. Unfortunately I do not have any more information I can provide to you at this point in time.

I can let you know at this point in time that the BlackBerry Priv is doing what it should from a "by design" stand-point where it reaches out to establish the connection in accordance with Android Auto rules."

There is a pending update for certain VW MIB II headunits, but it is not yet clear whether it will fix this particular issue. Certainly there are issues beyond the BlackBerry Priv.

lawguyman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I took delivery of a GTI SE yesterday. I expected Android Auto not to work based on what I read here.

I was happily wrong. It connected and works!

The first USB cable I tried didn't work but the second one did.

I'm using the Android Auto app from December and Priv is on AAD250.

Tell me how to check the GTI's firmware and I will and let you know.

warrenmr

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
lawguyman is running HW 620 SW 0613 in his GTI.

I have a Canadian Golf R running HW H42 SW 0344. There is no update available for it at this time (or for US HW H25 vehicles).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney