Where is "technical" AA tech support?

CrashAlpha

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I see people posting complaints like mine - very low audio volume from the head unit when using AA, regardless of the app. No solutions. My guess is this is a USB Audio problem. I have tried repeated questions here, zero replies. None from Samsung either. The technicality of the problem appears to be above super-user levels. I don't even know if the AA team is aware of it, even though there are complaints of it on Google Play.

Where can I go to get actual tech answers - not user support - for this problem?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely surprising. G+ has really evolved into a site for communities of specific interests, rather than a communication platform. I use it daily, and enjoy seeing lots of articles and posts about various Android and other tech issues, as well as other things like EVs and science.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if it took a few days for a response (especially due to the Thanksgiving holiday).

CrashAlpha

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
No response. Other posts with similar questions earned, "have you tried another cable or clearing the cache?" with no reply.

Isn't USB Audio out a digital signal? If so, why would Android support suggest a suspect USB cable would result in lower volume - wouldn't it result in glitchy or no audio at all?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
No response. Other posts with similar questions earned, "have you tried another cable or clearing the cache?" with no reply.

Isn't USB Audio out a digital signal? If so, why would Android support suggest a suspect USB cable would result in lower volume - wouldn't it result in glitchy or no audio at all?

I don't have any answers for you, but USB cables aren't as straight forward as the old analog RCA cables used to be. With regard to charging, they can vary in terms of how they communicate with the device and charger, which in turn will affect how much current they deliver. And a USB Cable that is specifically for charging may or may not support data connections as well.

I honestly don't understand the specifics of how USB cables differ, but it is clear that it is not an all or none situation. In this regard, it is conceivable that they may differ in terms of the communication between the two devices they're connected to, and so one cable may behave differently from another. I wish it weren't this way, but it often is.

FWIW.

CrashAlpha

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
While I can understand that USB cables differ (besides power) the only sort of signal they should be carrying is digital. Digital signal loss wouldn't result in lower audio volume, it would result in audio interruptions, signal-loss distortion or just plain not playing. Or is USB Audio an audio analog signal over USB wire?

hg1027

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
"I see you're having some trouble, have you tried a different $10 cable that might get your $500 phone talking to your $500 head unit?"

"Technical mumbo jumbo I don't understand the technical wizardry going on here it should work like my 1974 RCA television get off my lawn!"

So did you try a different cable? I'd suggest a different brand as well. Skip the best buy house brand, get a samsung/moto/apple/amazon one. I've had similar problems flashing roms on older phones - yes all the cables have conductivity and are wired the same and xyz, but if one works and another doesn't, move on.

CrashAlpha

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
"Technical mumbo jumbo I don't understand the technical wizardry going on here it should work like my 1974 RCA television get off my lawn!"

In fact, my problem is the exact opposite. Please, I say this with all sincerity - if you can explain how a bad USB cable would cause overall volume loss, I would be very grateful. Don't worry about firing it over my head - after decades of experience with music synthesizers, software development, network administration and computer service, I am always ready to learn more about the technical details. Specifically, is USB Audio not a digital signal, and if it is, why would a bad cable cause overall volume loss?

podunk209

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this exact same problem with a Note 4 on a Pioneer 4100NEX. I've tweeted Android and they reply asking if I've tried adjusting the volume on my head unit. When I reply back with I've tried everything including factory reset with cache wipe I get nothing. Tried asking for another avenue for technical support and I get silence. And I thought this would be an improvement over MirrorLink.

CrashAlpha

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm having this exact same problem with a Note 4 on a Pioneer 4100NEX. I've tweeted Android and they reply asking if I've tried adjusting the volume on my head unit. When I reply back with I've tried everything including factory reset with cache wipe I get nothing. Tried asking for another avenue for technical support and I get silence. And I thought this would be an improvement over MirrorLink.

I finally got word from Samsung tech support on this. It took a while. Here is what they told me,

"I would like to inform you that, the Android Auto product you are referring is not compatible with the Note devices. However, I suggest you to check with the car manufacturer for the compatibility."

I will be posting a new message to save others grief on this matter, because it's impossible to find any info on this topic.