Google Play Music and Android Auto

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed this new "feature" of Google Play Music?

In the past, whenever I connected to Android Auto, Google Play Music had a "pause/play" feature.
If I listened to something in the car, when I disconnected, it would be able to resume if I decided to listen to whatever outside of the car.
I could also resume out-of-car playing while in Google Play Music in Android Auto.

Now? Google Play Music has either "STOP" or "Play" options. I can no longer resume using "Pause". If I stop playing while in Android Auto and restart, the track starts at the beginning.

This smells like an attempt to keep hands off the screen, but this is frankly... CRAP.
Is there a Google Play Music setting to change it back to Pause/Resume mode while connected?

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed this new "feature" of Google Play Music?

In the past, whenever I connected to Android Auto, Google Play Music had a "pause/play" feature.
If I listened to something in the car, when I disconnected, it would be able to resume if I decided to listen to whatever outside of the car.
I could also resume out-of-car playing while in Google Play Music in Android Auto.

Now? Google Play Music has either "STOP" or "Play" options. I can no longer resume using "Pause". If I stop playing while in Android Auto and restart, the track starts at the beginning.

This smells like an attempt to keep hands off the screen, but this is frankly... CRAP.
Is there a Google Play Music setting to change it back to Pause/Resume mode while connected?
Yes, I just noticed it myself. If we hear an emergency siren, it takes two seconds to press the pause button, but it takes 10-20 seconds to pause via voice.

I think Google is trying to change the way we drive rather than accommodate to how we drive.

People touch their radios while driving, it's just faster than voice. People want to visually browse their music library. People may want to skip to a certain part of a song. Google either has or is trying to eliminate all this and it's very frustrating.

Just give us fully functional music apps, Google maps and a way to read out text messages and stop trying to dictate how we get it.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I just noticed it myself. If we hear an emergency siren, it takes two seconds to press the pause button, but it takes 10-20 seconds to pause via voice.

I think Google is trying to change the way we drive rather than accommodate to how we drive.

People touch their radios while driving, it's just faster than voice. People want to visually browse their music library. People may want to skip to a certain part of a song. Google either has or is trying to eliminate all this and it's very frustrating.

Just give us fully functional music apps, Google maps and a way to read out text messages and stop trying to dictate how we get it.

I found a work around for the "resume" issue. Still, it only resumes if you have Google Play Music playing within a small time window before Android Auto starts back up. For example, if I have whatever I'm playing going about 2 minutes before I connect to Android Auto, it will resume from the main screen if I press play on the option. It's still CRAP.

There is no reason for this app to be THIS nerfed.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

I mean, it's not like "Ok Google" works in the car. So pressing voice command and saying "pause" is just... weird. You still have to touch the screen. Why not press the PAUSE BUTTON.