Does the Android Auto Navigation Use my Data??

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps does give you an option to download maps for a given area to your phone, which theoretically would avoid data use while you're driving. At the same time, though, I'm not certain it will default to using the stored data, instead of getting current data online, when it does have access to a data signal. It's possible you'd need to turn off Mobile Data in order to have it use the stored data. And you'll need to keep your data on, I believe, or Android Auto in general won't work.

Also, the stored data is automatically deleted after 30 days, so you'd need to keep on top of this.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider, if you need to tightly manage your data usage.

Dixie Burge

May 12, 2016
Visit site
This is what I have been doing: I put in a route on Android Auto, and when navigation starts, I leave AA on my phone and turn off data. The navigation will continue on the car's screen without the phone's data being on until the route is complete. Almost no data used! Of course, if I want to set a new route, data must be turned on on my phone again.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is what I have been doing: I put in a route on Android Auto, and when navigation starts, I leave AA on my phone and turn off data. The navigation will continue on the car's screen without the phone's data being on until the route is complete. Almost no data used! Of course, if I want to set a new route, data must be turned on on my phone again.

Good to know, as this will come in handy when traveling internationally, where I still need navigation, but don't want to chew up data!

One downside in general is that without data, you will lose Google's ability to route relative to existing traffic. Depending on where you are, that might or might not be an issue.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't come across that App before. Looks like an interesting option.

But if it's getting traffic, I assume it's going to need a live data connection. Not as data hungry as maps, I would think but still.

My next trip is Iceland, though, so I don't think I'll be needing traffic data in any case!:p

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've read a few articles that suggest that HERE will use about 1.0 - 1.5 mb per hour if left online. Within the app you can turn the data usage off completely. You could turn it on selectively if in a larger metro or during higher traffic periods.

nicosilber

Jul 11, 2017
Visit site
Hello in my experience I was not able to search addresses in my AA while offline. I need to be online to search for address and then I was able to navigate without any problem. But with downloaded offline maps it's impossible to search for an address. In mt tablet with downloaded/offline maps I am table to search any address (if its inside the area I downloaded). But once I plug my phone (in airplane mode) to my car and google auto starts it wont find any adress even if that address was inside a downloaded map. Please help

Peter Nowell

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I just want to know if using the maps on android auto will use my Data

Enable data and set your destination and the location or GPS will take over. Then disable data and let the GPS or location use the satellite to direct you. Do not keep your data on once the satellite is connected to your phone's GPS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac