Does Android Auto work with Ford sync 3?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: does android auto work with ford sync 3

Android auto is as much a function of the entertainment system in the vehicle as it is the phone. If your Ford supports Android auto, it will work.

Posted via Android Central App

ScottMHoffman

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site

From the above link on the ford website "Android Auto Users of Android devices 5.0 and higher can bring their smartphone experience into their vehicle safely and easily. Convenient information, including Google Maps, Google Play Music and apps are projected onto the SYNC screen, offering seamless integration of the smartphone into the car. Google voice search answers any questions customers may have also while on the road."

I have a galaxy s6 and a 2016 ford f-150 with sync 3. Cannot get google maps or google play music to link to the sync 3. Only instructions are pair phone with sync3, done, go to apps section and hit find apps, done. All I get is no apps found. Also downloaded the Android auto application and it would not link with sync3 either.

Abider

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site

Hi - I have the same phone, truck, and Sync 3. Pandora, Spotify and Google Play Music all work fine. For Google Play music I have to use the Bluetooth music choice.

No Google Maps yet though. I think that is being released later this year.

One thing I noticed is that Android Auto doesn't "see" Sync 3 when I connect via USB.

afazel

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

Hi - I have the same phone, truck, and Sync 3. Pandora, Spotify and Google Play Music all work fine. For Google Play music I have to use the Bluetooth music choice.

No Google Maps yet though. I think that is being released later this year.

One thing I noticed is that Android Auto doesn't "see" Sync 3 when I connect via USB.

That's probably Ford Sync AppLink. My 2016 Mustang with Sync 3 supports that but not Android Auto yet. Waiting for the update.

Posted via the Android Central App

cam30era

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2016 Ford Edge that was built mid August (2016). It has Sync 3 version 2.0 (which is necessary for Android Auto to work). Ford started installing version 2.0 in F150's and Edge's built after mid July.
Android Auto and Google Maps working great.

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Using Note 4 with 2017 Escape Sync3. Before v2.0, I'd need to change MTP to PTP before it would connect but 2.0 fixed that.

Just downloaded the newest AA v2.0642703 release and no problems connecting. It was supposed to add search playlist by letter to Google Music.

Last edited:

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I have found newest AA allows search by letter for other apps as well, specifically Tune In Radio is one that I have tried and verified.

Weathers

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I have 2016 Edge with Sync 3. Android Auto on my Samsung Galaxy S7 will not recognize the blue toothed vehicle (Sync 3 says the phone is sync'd). Android Auto settings says my Edge is not accepted. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Android Auto, but with no success. I also noticed that there is no sound when I gave Android Auto a verbal command. Any recommendations? Am I missing a step?

cam30era

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
It does sound like a Bluetooth connection (or lack of the same) issue between device and vehicle. I'd start by making car and device forget each other. Then I'd try to manually pair the phone Bluetooth with your vehicle. After (if?) that's done successfully, I'll bet AA works just fine.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the update on my F150 and AA works fine. The phone needs to be connected via USB cable. AA does not work over bluetooth.

oscardeuce

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the bootleg v2.2 in my 2016 Escape, and AA works with no problems. Supposedly Ford is starting to roll out the update now, going first to Lincoln autos. However, there's conflicting info about it. There's links to the leaked version on the Focus website as well as the F150 website. Haven't heard of anyone having problems with the update, and it's for all 2016 models with Sync 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non