Android Auto BUGS thread! Let's talk about the bugs...

soupey

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
not sure if anyone else has this issue, but when trying to reply to whatsapp messages with your voice, if someone else messages me while im int he process of replying, the music will start playing in the background and screw up any attempt to finish the message.

I'm using a Nexus 5x with an AVH-4100

Texas22Step

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Same for me -- Android Auto ran perfectly UNTIL the MM update was applied (via T-Mobile) on my LG-G4. Now the Google Maps app freezes and Honda factory head unit becomes non-responsive. Only solution is to unplug phone. And, strangely enough, sometimes even though the screen is frozen the voice directions remain on and working, while the map display is several miles / turns "in arrears."

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
This morning my audio continued playing but kept getting Black Screen, i could navigate the car menus but AA just was a black screen. It was show the screen again everytime i uplugged it and plugged it back in, however i couldnt navigate to Maps, Phone, Music...only stay on the main screen. I had to open AA app on my phone, delete the cached data, everything worked fine after that.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
A new version of AA (1,6,240040) has hit the Play Store for me (Canada) with the following notes:

WHAT'S NEW
• Improved phone-car connection reliability
• Ability to browse your music collection without lockouts while vehicle is stopped
• Android Auto now available in 19 more countries, incl. Russia, India, Brazil, Austria, Switzerland, and many more countries in Latin America

I tried the music browsing parked with ebrake on but I still was limited in scrolling.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
A new version of AA (1,6,240040) has hit the Play Store for me (Canada) with the following notes:

WHAT'S NEW
• Improved phone-car connection reliability
• Ability to browse your music collection without lockouts while vehicle is stopped
• Android Auto now available in 19 more countries, incl. Russia, India, Brazil, Austria, Switzerland, and many more countries in Latin America

I tried the music browsing parked with ebrake on but I still was limited in scrolling.

Well whatever it is its broke my functionality (see above your post). Multiple app clear cache data, restarts, phone clear cache and wipe cache have not resolved the problem. I can't navigate music or phone. When the music is playing in the car, if I pull the phone off the USB it should pause the music but it doesn't, continues playing through my phone speakers... That's how I know there's a software issue. Using S6.

Update:
I forgot Car Mode app for Samsung's, cleared cache and will try tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Lates Update:
Clearing the cache of the Car Mode app has resolved all my issues :)

Last edited:

koshi1

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a new Galaxy S7 edge and a Kenwood DDX 9702S. I have 2 problems.
1) When the unit is turned on and my phone is connected, the phone will not go to the data transfer mode. I have to physically turn on the data mode. This is every time the unit is turned on. I also have to accept the safety terms every time,
2) Once I do get everything working, it will only stay in the data mode for a short time, then the Android Auto Screen locks up and I have to repeat the data transfer sequence.

Does anyone have a cure for this problem? As it stands, for me AA is worthless.

Last edited:

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
So I've been having these issues since the update with no change, even with the recent update to AA app. After a chat with HTC they suggested reloading the software update onto my M8. My question is will this really do anything? I'm thinking that if there was a software issue I would notice it with poor phone performance/bugs/other issues. Would reloading the same software update really do anything? I've already tried cache wipe and a factory reset with no difference. Kinda wishing I hadn't done the MM update since I hadn't had any issues prior.

e5i50

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I have an S6 and a 2016 Honda Civic sedan. Before Marshmallow, while connected with a USB, I was able to bring up the Google maps navigation on my console. After upgrading to Marshmallow, even though I am connected with the USB cable, AA is still telling me to connect my phone to my car. Bluetooth is working fine for calls though. Any suggestions?

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an S6 and a 2016 Honda Civic sedan. Before Marshmallow, while connected with a USB, I was able to bring up the Google maps navigation on my console. After upgrading to Marshmallow, even though I am connected with the USB cable, AA is still telling me to connect my phone to my car. Bluetooth is working fine for calls though. Any suggestions?

I have a G4 and a 2016 Civic and I get this occasionally too. I think part of the issue has to do with Marshmallow requiring you to choose a USB mode every single time you connect. That's a horrible oversight for Android Auto users. Make sure you select either MTP or PTP from the USB connection options. I've actually found that PTP is often more reliable. But when PTP won't connect, I switch to MTP (and vice versa). If you haven't already, also try setting your car as a trusted device. Others have said that helped alleviate some issues. I did that immediately upon pairing my G4 to the Civic.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a G4 and a 2016 Civic and I get this occasionally too. I think part of the issue has to do with Marshmallow requiring you to choose a USB mode every single time you connect. That's a horrible oversight for Android Auto users. Make sure you select either MTP or PTP from the USB connection options. I've actually found that PTP is often more reliable. But when PTP won't connect, I switch to MTP (and vice versa). If you haven't already, also try setting your car as a trusted device. Others have said that helped alleviate some issues. I did that immediately upon pairing my G4 to the Civic.

it's not a marshmallow thing, it's a carrier thing I believe, my Sprint S7 edge works flawlessly with AA, auto connects with no need to fuss around with settings

e5i50

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site

Wow, what a pain. I had to place the phone in developer mode in order to do that. It worked like a charm though, as I now have navigation.

Thank you very much Phenom!!

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Well whatever it is its broke my functionality (see above your post). Multiple app clear cache data, restarts, phone clear cache and wipe cache have not resolved the problem. I can't navigate music or phone. When the music is playing in the car, if I pull the phone off the USB it should pause the music but it doesn't, continues playing through my phone speakers... That's how I know there's a software issue. Using S6.

Update:
I forgot Car Mode app for Samsung's, cleared cache and will try tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Lates Update:
Clearing the cache of the Car Mode app has resolved all my issues :)

This black screen issue is happening again, clearing all the app data caches didn't help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dan054

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
ever since the update to marshmallow i have to go to developer mode and then set the usb to mtp to get it to work at all. i have spoken to verizin tech support and they are aware, this affects s6, s7 also have to do same to connect via usb to computer

Dan054

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
settings, developer mode, scroll down to usb, it will say charge only, click on it and change to mtp, might have to do more than once. whenever you connect phone or turn off you will have to redo

Texas22Step

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Same for me -- Android Auto ran perfectly UNTIL the MM update was applied (via T-Mobile) on my LG-G4. Now the Google Maps app freezes and Honda factory head unit becomes non-responsive. Only solution is to unplug phone. And, strangely enough, sometimes even though the screen is frozen the voice directions remain on and working, while the map display is several miles / turns "in arrears."

OK, thanks to everyone that commented / offered solutions to my LG G4 problem. Here is a recap of what I have done from "mixing and matching" these comments to get to a temporary fix, along with a recap of my configuration.

Recap: 2016 Honda Accord with OEM head unit. LG G4 T-Mobile phone with recent OTA update to Marshmallow. No problems using all functions of Android Auto prior to MM update. After MM update, experienced frequent screen freezing, yet with occasional continuation of voice directions and music while display screen was otherwise frozen showing the maps and clock at an earlier time. Also occasional display "blinking" and even flat refusal to recognize the G4 when USB cable inserted.

What seems to at least temporarily fix this while otherwise keeping MM update:

On phone:
Go to settings>general>developer options (see another post how to enable developer options in MM)>select USB configuration
At this point, select MTP (media transfer protocol). You may have to do this more than once for the phone to "take" it -- you can check this by going to some other screen, then coming back to this to be sure it has been selected and remembered.
Then settings>general>smart cleaning
At this point, delete temporary files & raw files (caches)

Then clear all running programs by touching the square symbol at the bottom of the home page and selecting "clear all."

Restart phone

Plug into USB cable in car. If asked whether to allow USB communications, select "yes."

Now it should work again. Hopefully Google will soon offer an update to either AA or MM to fix this so we all don't have to go though these gymnastics.

Again, thanks to everyone!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
This black screen issue is happening again, clearing all the app data caches didn't help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Again...black screen...and sure enough i got a Google App update yesterday. Cleared all the data cache, went into bootloader and wiped cache...restarted....lets see if it comes back. Pretty f n annoying.

Update= factory reset my device, hopefully this fixes it

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Again...black screen...and sure enough i got a Google App update yesterday. Cleared all the data cache, went into bootloader and wiped cache...restarted....lets see if it comes back. Pretty f n annoying.

Update= factory reset my device, hopefully this fixes it

Factory reset did not help, the black screen problem returned. Had a suspicion it might be related to weather tile alternating between locations (changes ever minute or so) and would get stuck. Disabled weather on google now, been a few days and it hasn't happened again yet... Will keep posted.

Update:
It's happening again and I'm beyond frustrated at this point that I bought an SD card and moved all my music for my car audio. Android auto is full of way too many bugs... Will keep using it for Google maps and such but man every time an app gets an update it causes tons of problems for me.

Last edited:

quiquevr4

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have installed a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. I connect to AA on my HTC ONE M9. Both are fully updated. I'm having a pretty frustrating audio issue while using navigation and Google Music. While Google Music is playing, the volume notification from maps are very low compared to music. If I stop playing music, the volume is much louder. I have the option to raise the volume on maps while playing music, but if I pause music, or turn off the vehicle and come back to use navigation, the audio is painfully loud. Anyone else having similar issues?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante