Android auto - messages and notifications management

Joseph Sheu

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi there

Have a VW Golf with AA and a Nexus 6P.

Initially, I don't think my AA was sending audio notifications when I got a message - I was seeing the notification banner, but no audio.

I recently restored my phone, and since, I have noticed that the notifications are audible. I get a LOT of IMs thru the day, and I would prefer to make the notifications softer or muted completely to enjoy the music.

Anyways I can adjust this?

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I also do not get audible notifications, I use Textra for sms, wonder if you must use the native to the phone sms app for audible notifications?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi there

Have a VW Golf with AA and a Nexus 6P.

Initially, I don't think my AA was sending audio notifications when I got a message - I was seeing the notification banner, but no audio.

I recently restored my phone, and since, I have noticed that the notifications are audible. I get a LOT of IMs thru the day, and I would prefer to make the notifications softer or muted completely to enjoy the music.

Anyways I can adjust this?

It may be dependent on the head unit, but my Pioneer unit gives two audio options: one volume for music, and one volume for alerts. If that's the case, turn the "alerts" one down to the desired level.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I just got a Hyundai which has AA and so far everything seems to work with Textra notifications.

I know other 3rd party messaging apps are not supported but would like the notification light to still come on and I also don't get the notification on gear fit2. Is there a setting I'm missing? I

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just got a Hyundai which has AA and so far everything seems to work with Textra notifications.

I know other 3rd party messaging apps are not supported but would like the notification light to still come on and I also don't get the notification on gear fit2. Is there a setting I'm missing? I
If the messaging app is an instant messaging client, the developer needs to bake in support for Android Auto into their app.

As for not getting notifications on your Gear Fit 2, there's nothing in Android Auto preventing that. I still get notifications on my Vector Watch while driving, even from apps that don't have Android Auto support.

Michael May3

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Android auto - messages and notifications management - SOLVED?

SOLVED (for me anyway)

I've been having similar problems to many others....AA seems to work fine in a majority of cases. “OK Google” searches, Maps, TuneIn, Google Play Music…..but when a message came in on SMS or WhatsApp, I only saw the notification and couldn’t hear the message.

I stumbled upon a solution that worked for me, and it was a cable issue. I tried several cables, including a seemingly “high quality” cable from a power adapter with the same results.

Then I tried a retractable cable that came with an external rechargeable power battery pack, mostly because it was more compact and fit the cubby in my car better.

Looks like this > http://richardsolo.com/assets/product-photos/usb_retractable_cable_lrg.jpg

Lo and behold……messages come through perfectly.

I have no idea why this is the case with a seemingly poor quality cable. Your experience may vary……probably a minimal cost to try it and see.

FYI ....still no audio notification of message arrival though.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Searched on here for exactly this issue. I am using Textra on my 2016 Honda Civic with Android Auto basked into the car and I don't get audible notifications either, just the banner.

Using Galaxy S8+ on the latest update.

Anyone have a resolution for this?

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Searched on here for exactly this issue. I am using Textra on my 2016 Honda Civic with Android Auto basked into the car and I don't get audible notifications either, just the banner.

Using Galaxy S8+ on the latest update.

Anyone have a resolution for this?
that's odd, AA in theory should operate the same no what manufacturer the system operates on, I use Textra on my S8 and I get pop ups and audible notifications in my 2016 Mustang using AA

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
that's odd, AA in theory should operate the same no what manufacturer the system operates on, I use Textra on my S8 and I get pop ups and audible notifications in my 2016 Mustang using AA

Today I noticed that Do Not Disturb is set whenever Android Auto is running. As i'm relatively new to Android (last Android phone used the very basic Ice Cream Sandwich), and it seems like it is an intended feature of automatically setting Do Not Disturb in the car, I'm not getting any audible notifications at all. If I manually turn off DND, the slider just reactivates immediately while I watch, turning DND back on.

The other annoying thing is that DND is not turned off when I exit Android Auto either. I never noticed it before as I have it set on a schedule and the last times I have used it, when I exited AA, DND should have been on as part of my daily schedule.

I cannot find a workaround for this issue and it's driving me mad. I'm not getting any notifications of calls or messages whilst driving, which seems utterly ludicrous to me.

Anyone able to offer any help on this issue please?

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
go into settings> notifications> Android Auto, allow notifications, also choose set as priority

Unfortunately, that is already set. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Textra, Android Auto and deleting and re-pairing my phone to the Bluetooth on my car and resetting it up with Android Auto. Still this persists.

I get notifications from Textra at any other time if my phone isn't connected to Android Auto. It's driving me mad.

As an added bonus, I don't get notifications from phone calls whilst connected to Android Auto either.

This is a deal breaker for me. I'm in my car for a lot of the day and I get a lot of work-based text messages and calls that I am simply missing.

I need to get this fixed ASAP or i'm going to need to go to a different phone.

Are there any other system processes that I need to make sure are allowed to notify me in order to ensure Textra and phone calls notify audibly through Android Auto?

To clarify, I get the banner, just no notification sound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay