Galaxy S4 screen lock on Android Auto, what do I do?

Dutchlap

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S4 screen lock on Android Auto

I tested out both the Pioneer and Kenwood receivers today. After downloading the Android Auto app no matter which stereo I tried, the phone would connect but the app locks my cell phone home screen to the "Android Auto" splash screen and I can't do anything else with my phone like checking emails or running any other apps while the phone is connected to the reciever. The rep hooked up his IPhone and didn't have the same issue. My cell phone is Galaxy S4 ver. 5.0.1. I was told Android Auto will work on 5.0 and higher.
I would love to get one of these units (not sure which is better) but can't until I know I can access other phone apps while Android Auto is running.
Please help me figure this out.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 screen lock on Android Auto

This is working as designed. AA locks your phone to that screen and you use the head unit to interact with your phone using the AA interface. This is done to restrict what you can do for safety reasons.

Apple takes a different approach and let's you continue using the phone while driving.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dutchlap

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

Too bad. My corporate email is very important to me and it sounds like with AA I would not even be able to get notifications of new mail. Plus there are other apps I use in the background as I travel to track mileage. Not certain how the Mirror technology works and whether that would help.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site

while I don't do it, my S6 can be used when using Android Auto with my Pioneer 8100nex