Verizon Galaxy S7 NOT working with Android Auto ...

mpisani

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone any luck yet? I see you got close but I don't know what steps you took. With my Galaxy S5 Android auto worked on my AVH4100-NEX no problem. I just picked up the Galaxy S7 Edge on Tuesday and I noticed today that I couldn't get AA to work. Like I said, if you could let me know what you did (please spell it out step by step), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Scott Brown15

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
So, i was able to conduct a test. We are car shopping and looking at Hyundai's. I connected my S7 edge using the usb cable i use in my Tacoma and AA immediately connected with no issues. So, not that it helps solve our problem with the Pioneer 4100NEX, I can confirm my phone does in fact work with AA, the usb cable I have the phone likes. So it feels like a couple of things could be an issue: the usb wire to the back of the head unit, pioneer needs to update their firmware.

I hope they figure this out soon, I absolutely love AA and miss it!

vandeec5

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I know the USB cables have to be plugged into a particular USB slot in the back of the head-unit also for it to work. (I have the Pioneer 4100-NEX)

Fran-The-Man

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
As mentioned before, under Development Options/USB Configuration selecting "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)" should allow you to connect with the car unit with no problem, however you must repeat the same step every time you want to connect it. I did a little research and unfortunately is not a problem of the phone, it is a feature of Marshmallow :'( - Once you unplug the phone from the unit the USB configuration will reset automatically to "Charging". Somebody found a way around but you have to root the phone using an MTP enabler file. There is an article at Phone Arena but since I am new here I can't post the link :mad:

I hope this helps

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned before, under Development Options/USB Configuration selecting "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)" should allow you to connect with the car unit with no problem, however you must repeat the same step every time you want to connect it. I did a little research and unfortunately is not a problem of the phone, it is a feature of Marshmallow :'( - Once you unplug the phone from the unit the USB configuration will reset automatically to "Charging". Somebody found a way around but you have to root the phone using an MTP enabler file. There is an article at Phone Arena but since I am new here I can't post the link :mad:

I hope this helps
I don't think the MTP thing is accurate, when I connect my S7 edge to my Pioneer 8100 and it works 100%, it displays "charging" if I change it to MTP, it disconnects and stops working, so I don't believe that's an issue. my only issue was a usb extension cable, with my Samsung cable directly connected to the back of the unit, it works flawlessly

Olytechy

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
So I decided to look into the problem a little more and figured out a few things.

This morning Verizon updated the S7 Edge, so I downloaded the updates and to see if that fixed the car. And it didn't.

Then I downloaded the latest firmware for the 4100NEX (was 1.3, installed 1.5) and then tried again, still does not work.

Last thing I tried was the original cable that came with the phone and that worked. I have to go to the change from Charging to MTP every time I plug in my phone, but at least it loads and android auto works as expected.

Still hope they fix the overall issue but at least things are working now.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Last thing I tried was the original cable that came with the phone and that worked. I have to go to the change from Charging to MTP every time I plug in my phone, but at least it loads and android auto works as expected.
I've been posting in more than a few threads that the stock cable directly plugged in the the back of headunit is a cure, and I'm not sure why or IF my Sprint S7 edge would be different, but I've experimented multiple times, my S7 edge auto connects all the time without fail, it reads "charging" if I change it to MTP, it disconnects.......

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Verizon S7 edge. Just had a 4100-NEX installed Thursday. The installer and I sat with it for a good 30-45 minutes trying different cables and the 4100 just kept freezing up on AA with my phone connected (plus having the switch the USB connection from charging mode each time was a bit of a pain).

After I got home, I updated the firmware to 1.05 (from 1.03) with an SD card and also used the original charging cable that came with the S7 edge and now it all works fine. No freezing, all features seem to work. Haven't used it extensively but no issues yet. I still have to change the USB setting but hopefully that will fix itself with a future phone or AA update.

FYI, I'm in a 2012 Prius (regular) and the installer wired the USB from the rear of the unit to the factory USB in the center console. I'm having him move it to come out of the glove compartment since I like my phone mounted on the dash and don't want the wire running up from the console.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Update: had a bunch of driving around for work today. AA worked for the most part, but got occasional freezing. Found out the USB mode kept going back to charging mode and I had to keep changing back to media mode. Didn't troubleshoot to find out why or what caused it, but it became a bit of a nuisance.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Finally tried the cable that came with the phone today. (Just hadn't bothered.) Nothing doing. In fact, less of a connection than normal (if that's even possible).

I'm still convinced this is a software problem. (Like last time.)

CeciliaPV

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Here's how I got mine to work. Did as suggested with the MTP Device selection. Cleared all caches. Then when plugged in with non-stock USB, was prompted to enter my account info for Google Play Services. Previously it would kick me out or say "google play services have stopped". I hear there is a new update available. My S7e just went through an update and I have the latest firmware for my AVH 4100 NEX. I may have missed a step in providing my account info for the play services because I'm wary about Google data-mining but that's another problem entirely. :p

OliverK

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
No problems for me with the S7 Edge on Android Auto although it is using my VW Golf head unit and not a separate Pioneer.

I am surprised your having issues though; the MIB2 system in the Golf takes multiple attempts to connect but when I tried it on my F77DAB it worked right away.

If only Pioneer would allow the VW interface to work so I could use an aftermarket head unit without needing adapters and converters.

Thee_Dude

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
On Verzion. Got mine to work with Hyundai Sonata by enabling USB debugging in developer options and then selecting MTP protocol. For me, neither of these options alone worked.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried that, but the protocol wouldn't stick in the developer options. As soon as I backed out of the settings, it switched back to charging mode. (Verizon S7 Edge) I'll keep troubleshooting or wait for a software fix.

Olytechy

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I tried that, but the protocol wouldn't stick in the developer options. As soon as I backed out of the settings, it switched back to charging mode. (Verizon S7 Edge) I'll keep troubleshooting or wait for a software fix.

It does this for me too, but it ends up connecting as it switches back to charging mode.

I had to switch to the stock cable to get it to work though (going through no extensions, plugged directly into the back of the head unit.).

I also have everything on the latest version.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If the S7 has PTP mode, try that if MTP is not working. Sometimes I have to switch into PTP mode for AA to work on my LG G4. Or I toggle back and forth between the two until one of them works. They definitely need to sort out the bugs.

Also, try changing the USB debugging setting while plugged into the stereo and again when disconnected. I had problems with it accepting the change and tried both ways and it finally took. I just don't remember which way it was that finally made it work.

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
It does this for me too, but it ends up connecting as it switches back to charging mode.

I had to switch to the stock cable to get it to work though (going through no extensions, plugged directly into the back of the head unit.).

I also have everything on the latest version.

Thanks for the info. I'm going back to the installer later this week to connect the backup camera (the part needed was delayed) so I'll have him also put the stock cable right into the unit (right now it's daisy chained to the usb port in the center console). Crossing fingers.